PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
I've heard so much about Half and Half, and I couldn't wait to try this venerated old-timer's blend for myself. I heard it goes great with black coffee in the morning, but great for all day.

I bought a few ounces of the traditional blend at the local store and raced home to try it out.

Upon opening, the initial smell was slightly sweet and very fresh. It was easy to fill my MM Washington, it practically poured in. But that's where my problems started. I couldn't get it packed in firmly enough. It kept coming out of the pipe, and forget about even trying to do a charring light, the moisture level was off the charts! I took a forum member's advice and let it age a bit. Reluctantly in put it in the back of a closet for about two months. When I got it out again, the consistency had changed dramatically, and after putting it in the sun for about an hour to dry evenly, I finally got it to pack firmly in the pipe. It took a few charring lights to get it going, but the wife really complains about the room note! She says it makes her sick. She theatened divorce if I ever smoked it again...anywhere.

Can you offer any advice? I've got way more than I know what to do with. If anybody wants the rest, the picture is below.

Thanks!

:nana:

:puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A visual pun, nice! If anyone is actually struggling to like the tobacco blend Half-and-Half, I'd suggest looking at C&D Virgnia/burley blends. For me, the H&H casings and flavorings get in the way of what is fairly respectable tobacco. No such problem with C&D, and the prices on bulk aren't bad.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Of the 'codger' blends I've tried, and they would include several copies of codgers as well as the real deal, I have to say that Half and Half has the most noticeable and persistent topping/casing of any.

It took me quite awhile to be able to smoke it w/o bite.

Now, it's just an occasional contrast smoke for me and I have taken mso489's advice and I've been buying Cornell and Deihl's bulk blends and blending tobacco for less dough and with fewer additives.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Half and Half is terrible. It's like the devil grabbing you're tongue. I find it hard to light and keep lit, and if you huff and puff on it the bite only gets worse. Far better OTC blends, in my opinion. Get you some Carter Hall if you're looking for a granpappy-type smoke.

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
Good one. Got me. I really dislike Half and Half. Like a flamethrower to my tongue. Tried it on various occasions and it still is not to my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.