PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crusher47

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2014
Been pipe smoking over a year now, just opened a tin of Sam Gawith Chocolate Flake.... I know, let the flakes air out a bit before smoking, no problem...let the flake sit for a good 30 minutes before trying to smoke it. Could not keep it lit at all, got frustrated after about the 30th. relight and dumped it out.
I then took all the flakes out of the tin and let them sit on a paper towel overnight... yes, out of the tin, out in the air on the kitchen table for a good 12+ hours... then put them in a mason jar and waited 3-4 days before trying again...
Grabbed another flake, rubbed it out...seemed very dry to the touch, should be a winner....Nope, same issue as before, could not keep it lit to save my life... what am I doing wrong here?
Thanks in advance

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Even though you let them sit out the other day, you should still let each flake sit out for 20-30 minutes before loading your pipe and smoking it. Whether you want to rub it out first or just let it sit in flake form is your preference, but with each smoke you'll want to let the flake sit for a bit. Even though you let the flake sit out for a bit, flakes hold more moisture than your typical mix cut, ribbon cut tobacco's, so you still may have to re-light the flakes multiple times.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I often rub out enough for several bowls and leave it out until I get to it in rotation, which can be a few days. Most flake is moist enough that it tolerates and improves with the drying. This may be heresy, but it works just fine. The flake remains full-flavored, stays lit, and burns evenly. I have a pottery bowl about the size of a cereal bowl that serves as a drying station. Works with flake, plug, and rope.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I smoke Dunhill Flake and Erik Stokkebye 1931 Flake, both have always been perfect to smoke and stay lit right out of the tin. Anyone who claims to be an expert tobacco blender should be able to tin it at the correct moisture level, and that's what I expect. I have no interest in buying any blend I need to dry out before smoking, that would be a dealbreaker for me.

I also have no desire to spend my time rubbing-out or cube-cutting tobacco. I just scrunch or fold and put it in the pipe. I buy flake for the unique properties of smoking flake.
But if you still can't keep it lit even after drying it that much, then I suspect you're packing it too tightly. Packing a flake to the same unlit draw feel as a ready-rubbed, it will expand when lit and be hard to keep lit.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I smoke flakes and coins almost exclusively. I don't air dry them, nor do I "rub them out." I fold (to the shape of the bowl) and loosen, then stuff using an air-pocket type method. I never have a problem, indoors or out.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Crusher: This is a tip I stole from Pipestud. I use an old coffee bean grinder to cut up flakes. It will slice and dice nicely. You have to be careful, or you'll get dust or snuff if you leave the flakes in the grinder too long.
I usually give it just a touch and then check to see how I did. If it needs more, just another slight touch.
Hope this gives you an idea.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
SG flakes are the wettest in my cellar. I cube cut them into small cubes and then dry it for as long as it takes. I will also leave a flake out to dry and fold and stuff, all depends on my mood. The SG's I stock are Best Brown, Full Virginia and St James Flakes. They are awessome with age. I recently opened a tin of 2004 FVF, it is sublime. I am also smoking through one of my pounds of bulk 2006 Best Brown, again the changes in the aged blend is worth the wait and definitely worth cellaring. Sure it is a pain in the ass getting the right humidity but is so worth it.

May 31, 2012
Cigrmaster holds an especial position in my pantheon of pipe mentors,

for after I read about his cube cutting technique and trying it,

I never went back, and generally cube cut 95% of everything,

the results are amazingly consistent for guaranteed fine smokes!
Thank you

:worship:

Cigrmaster
:!:

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I've been cube cutting and then giving it a spin in a small food processer. That idea came from Hunter. If you skip the cube cutting, and use just the processer, you get a longer and rougher cut.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
I agree, after reading a post by Cigrmaster, and trying his cube cutting method, I feel in love with flakes. He is the flake master too.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Fold and stuff method has never worked for me. I will rub it out but pack it quit loose. I noticed that flake tobacco expands way more than others. This tends to cause lighting problems if it doesn't have room to expand. I have never tried the cube cut method but I assume this is why it is successful.

Jul 12, 2011
yep yep , cube the stuff esp SG flake the stuff is a giant tin of water - makes you wonder if

we are getting our 50g $$ worth.... ah, nope :crying:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for the nice comments guys, but I have to give credit where credit is due. It was Bentmike who originally posted a thread about cube cutting. I do appreciate the thoughts about me being the flake master as I have smoked a ton of them and it is all I smoke. I cube cut many of my flakes, and use real big cubes on those softer flakes to keep them from falling apart. I think cube cutting for folks who have trouble with fold and stuff should cube cut all the time and forget about rubbing out and putting flakes in a blender. You might as well not buy flakes as you defeat the purpose of them which is to provide a longer, cooler, more flavorful smoke.
The reason I smoke only flake is because with any other cut of tobacco, I find it burns too quickly and too hot which loses flavor for me. I have tried a ton of ribbons and other cuts. Broken flake can be vey good if you just use big chunks of tobacco, and not rub them further. A couple of my wrap around flakes such as Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake and Astleys 109 have pieces of broken flake in the tin to get it to 50 grams, which I just shove in the bowl as is.
Using the right pipe for flakes also makes a difference to the smoking properties of flakes. I use group 4-5 sized bowls in the following shapes, Dublins, Rhodesians, Apples, Billiards, Lovats, Brandy's Zulu's, Cherrywoods. I only have one full bent as most of mine are either straight or 1/8 to 1/4 bent. The world of flakes is vast with so many great blends. I suggest trying as many as you can to find the ones that really float your boat. I have 32 in my cellar( if anyone wants my list just get in touch) and all are devoid of red virginia's( they burn the crap out of my tongue) except for a little red in Solani Silver flake which I can smoke.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Hey Thanks for the shout out Harris! I can't remember where I learned about the cube cut. Probably was the videos that Cortez linked to.
My first attempts at fold and stuff were pretty miserable. Once I started cubing though the flakes became a slow and steady burning flavor powerhouse. Grab some scissors and let those Gawith flakes dry good and give it a try. It's very easy to do. Just cut small slices across grain and drop 'em in your bowl. Some companies cut their flakes a little thicker so you can make the cross cuts closer together. The SG flakes are really thin so I cut my cubes a little longer. Really they end up little rectangles.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
https://youtu.be/FFRlBqlUDtQ

Crusher you may also find this video useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.