PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
The last picture in the listing shows the nomenclature for the date code. I can't figure it out, but I'm wondering if the pipes aren't very old. The case is even pristine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNSMOKED-Allfred-DUNHILL-London-set-of-7-Day-Pipes-with-Case-/191850652327?nma=true&si=NMWvBlC7LPw4eMhnchcpV3qlXoI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l25574
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/e8EAAOSw7n9XE~8k/s-l1600.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
If they have been in dry storage then why shouldn't the case be pristine? I have a similar set (albeit not Dunhill) dating from 1967 and the case is in pristine condition.
Regards,
Jay.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I think they date from 1960. The second "2" was probably when it sold-- 1962

Here'e a good reference:

http://www.rdfield.com/Articles/A%20Dunhill%20Pipe%20Dating.htm
I bought a 1955 7 day set from Paris a few weeks ago for $1780!!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yes, I also thought 1960 (and sold in '62). An underlined date suffix sometimes means it was a filter pipe (but not always) It is pretty clear in this picture. Older pipes would have a patent number, right?
s-l1600.jpg

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
This set (the case) was made in between 1952 and June 1953. By Royal appointment to the late King George V1 indicates that this case was made after King George's death in 1952 and before June 1953 which was the Coronation of Elizabeth 11

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
I mean the case has "Dunhill" "by Royal appointment to the late King George V1" on the Satin/silk

Then in June 1953 Dunhill's 'royal appointment'was changed to Queen Elizabeth 11. The empty case may have been in stock for eight years before the correct pipes were selected to fit- just an idea. The illustrated Poker (above) shows it was made in 1960 and sold in 1962.

I would be interested to learn from anyone who has more detailed information as to whether the Royal Appointment to Queen Elizabeth 11 was delayed in any way?

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Fascinating detail Ken. Us Yanks would have never caught that detail on the case!
You can say that again........ I never thought to look that close, and did not realize that the wording on the warrants changed like that..........Cool stuff indeed!..........Thanks Ken!
Here's the set I bought a while back. I haven't had time to photo them myself yet. The pipes are all dated 1955, the Royal warrant states "H.M. the KING" on the satin lining.........
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1955-Dunhill-7-day-pipe-set-one-star-shell-briar-in-its-leather-hard-case-/201545543278?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=y2tDxKj6nXvor8a5x%252BP51Icj3tQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
The warrants to King George VI expired in 1958, I do not know when the royal warrant was granted by Queen Elizabeth II.

Thanks doctorbob, that is what I wanted to know. I will research when the 'Royal Appointment'was granted by Elizabeth 11.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I will research when the 'Royal Appointment'was granted by Elizabeth."
Well I'll be blown, I never knew our Queen smoked a pipe! Learn something new every day.
Regards,
Jay.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
"Us Yanks would have never caught that detail on the case!"

Wow, that is a rare seven day set beefeater33 and the year I was born. I also think you got a really good deal there. I am beginning to wonder how they made up thier sets in those days. I am pretty sure that your case itself was made before the death of King George V1 and gradually, over time they would select the pipes and prepare the mouthpieces to fit into each 'pocket' in the case. Dunhills may have wanted it that way rather than sending their pipes to a case maker for them to fit the pipes. I do remember Charatans sending Crown Achievements and Summa Cum Laudas to the case maker. When I say 'send' them, I mean that my father or Dennis Marshall would personally take them to the case maker and had educated the case maker to take care not to scratch the pipes whilst making the templates etc.

On reflection, I think that Dunhills may have had an in-house craftsman who made these cases and they may have held some stock of them which were already lined with silk/satin and stamped by royal....

And to answer your question mawnansmiff (not sure if you were serious or not), Dunhills were the tobacconists to Queen Elizabeth 11. They supplied the Royal Family with cigars, humidors etc for the 'heads of state' that she used to entertain. Her sister Princess Margaret smoked and had comissioned Dunhills to make her cigarette holders.She was a collector of cigarette holders. I remember she comissioned Paul Bently (from Astleys) to supply her with a seven day set of cigarette holders. They were gorgeous. They were made by a Russian craftsman that Paul knew who used to work for Karl Faberge and still had some of the old materials from Faberge to make this set!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi Ken, yes that was my attempt at humour :oops:
Interesting info you give out there, but did you know Prince Philip used to smoke Old Holborn?
Regards,
Jay.
PS: Did you get the PM I sent you?

Status
Not open for further replies.