PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Recently purchased an early Grand Slam. The seller thought the stinger was inside. He had taken the pipe apart sometime ago but now couldn't get things apart.(That maybe why the price started so low). I managed to get things apart without any damage. The stinger was coated with old oils and sludge. I managed to unscrew it from the tenon and soaked it in alcohol for 24 hours. The leather washers were still in place and the screw that holds them in place was totally corroded. Both the stinger and screw appear to be made of aluminum (or at least the same metal). I tried every trick in the book and then some to remove the screw from the stinger without success--finally broke the threaded part of the screw. Had to drill out the remaining piece in the stinger. So now I need a new screw. Hoping someone might have an extra since they are probably as scarce as hens teeth. Only other options would be to find a complete stinger or machine a new screw. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Hoppes

Status
Not open for further replies.