PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I have a Churchwarden "wizard" pipe made of olive wood that my oldest daughter bought me for my birthday (bless her heart :)). It's not necessarily my style, but since she went to the trouble of saving her money, picking it out, and purchasing it then I feel I should smoke it!
I smoked two bowls out of it. The first bowl went well enough. Nice draw and cool smoke, but came up short of the bottom. The second bowl about a week later I smoked all the way to the bottom, and I noticed the taste and smell of burning wood. After I dumped the ashes I could see quite clearly chard wood in the heel, it looked just like a piece of wood that didn't burn all the way from a camp fire the day after.
Is there a way to alleviate this issue in this pipe? or should I just not smoke it all the way down? I fear at some point the walls may do the same. Any help would be appreciated!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I would start by covering the charred area with pipe mud. You may have sand down the charred area to make a solid surface for the pipe mud, but I would first just try applying the mud and see how it goes. For the rest of the interior walls, you may want to try the old pipe smoker's trick of smearing a bit of honey on the walls to facilitate quicker cake build-up.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Very dangerous pipe to use if you're even the least bit of a puffer. You probably already know that olive wood doesn't resist heat as well as briar. Second, a more insidious problem is the length of the churchwarden stem: it cools and dries the smoke stream so much that the smoker can easily lose track of how hot the bowl is getting. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Awe Cortez... you break my heart! Of course your correct I suppose. That is basically what happened... it was a cool smoke and I was oblivious of the heat at the bottom. This stem is so long the longest churchwarden pipe cleaners made won't reach the bowl :(
I guess this one will have to just sit. But hey, at least I smoked it! :puffy:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
<p>+1 ...if you puff slowly- low temp-no char....cut your cadence in half and you'll have time to build a cake before you burn a hole in the bottom and dump hot ash on your man parts...

Status
Not open for further replies.