Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

boomer

Lurker
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas, TX
I have a question for yall...
I have been scouring the threads looking for some consensus on some tobaccos to start out with. And the more I read, the more overwhelmed I become.
I have 2 pipes now, and have 3 tobaccos...a black russian blend, Stanwell Melange, and Frog Morton. I have only gone through about 15 bowls so far since moving over from cigars.
If you had to pick 5-10 tobaccos, what would they be?
I'm looking to place my first order online, and want to buy a range of blends and styles to try out the full spectrum...what would be your "go-to" buys if you could only place one more order?

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Well I could tell you what I like, but really it's about what you like.
If you prefer mild and smooth smokes, I'd recommend Lane Limited 1Q, MacBaren's 7 Seas Royal or Black.
If you're okay with experimenting with stronger tobaccos, I'd recommend Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding, Justforhim.com's Shortcut to Mushrooms, Hearth and Home Larry's Blend, Esoterica Penzance (can be hard to find)
I know Frog Morton is well respected around here, I've yet to try any of that line though.
If money is an issue, you might go for a "sampler pack" from pipesandcigars.com or one of the other major online retailers. You'll get 2 ounces of 5-6 different tobaccos following a certain theme for relatively cheap.
My experience is a drop in the bucket compared to others here, so you've definitely come to the right place.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
call P&C, tell them u want the H&H sampler pack, which is 6 packs of 2oz each, cost u like 29.00 i think. Just tell them to give u the top 6 sellers, but make sure Larry's Blend and Anniversary kake are 2 of em

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Yeah what they said. You will find very few B&M's have the good stuff on hand. Although some of the house blends are not too bad. I just wish the clerk at my B&M know more about pipe tobacco than cigars. Most B&M's will lett you try a bowl in the store(except the malls). The best thing to do is try em all.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard, Boomer.
As everyone said, this is very subjective. If it was "one more order" for me, I might have to use more than one site, because several of my go-to blends are only available in one place - and it's not the same place!
Here is my list - some of them are hard to find, these days!
MacBaren's HH Vintage Syrian

MacBaren's Mixture

Hearth and Home Larry's Blend

Peterson's Old Dublin

Esoterica Penzance

McCranie's Murdock's Pipe

McCranie's Red Ribbon

Hartwell Signature

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

S. Gawith Balkan Flake

Rattray's Hal o' th' Wynd
The McCranie's Blends are available only at McCranie's
This list includes 6 latakia blends - 1 Syrian, 5 Cyprian, on the medium-full latakia blend spectrum. There are 4 Virginia blends - 2 of which are flake. And there is one Danish style aromatic - I am not a big aromatic smoker, tbh - one tin of Mixture a year works for me.
If you happen to be fortunate enough to have a good B&M nearby - and I mean one where they seriously know pipe tobacco - talk to them. They can help.
Enjoy the journey! :puffy:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
+1 with what nsfisher said.
Get a sampler pack of a variety of things. Either at P&C or call C&D directly. They're very helpful. Ask for a sample of:

A strong latakia blend

A straight Virginia

A Virginia/perique

A Virginia/oriental or Turkish

A mild aromatic with a flavor you like (vanilla, rum, bourbon)

A burley
That way you can figure out which lines / blends you seem to gravitate towards and explore that line more. It's how I figured out I don't tolerate Latakia very weel, so I am headlong in the va and va/per blends now. Then explore different blends and brands in that line.
Hope it helps, good luck and welcome aboard.
Hold on tight and enjoy the ride ! :puffpipe:

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I think that there is a consensus here about getting a sampler pack. I am not sure where you live, but if there a tobacco shop close by they will often let you try their bulk blends before you buy them. This will also help with tin selection because the tobacconist can point you in the right direction if you know what you like from their bulk selection.
The blends I would get if I could get not others would be

Penzance

Frog Morton on the Town

Lane 1Q

Pertersons Irish Oak

Frog Morton

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I only smok aromatics. My top ten aromatic blends would be
1. Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice

2. Mac Baren's 7 Seas Regular Blend

3. Peterson's Holiday Season 2011 (might be hard to find as it's a limited edition blend)

4. Mac Baren's 7 Seas Red Blend

5. Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream (loose cut or flake cut both are great)

6. McClelland's Best of Show from their Premium Aromatics line

7. Peterson's Special Reserve 2011

8. Mac Baren's 7 Seas Black Blend

9. Mac Baren's 7 Seas Gold Blend

10. Peterson's Sunset Breeze

majilton

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2012
Its really down to what you like really but i think ns fishers idea is the first way to go he said.............. call P&C, tell them u want the H&H sampler pack, which is 6 packs of 2oz each, cost u like 29.00 i think. Just tell them to give u the top 6 sellers, but make sure Larry's Blend and Anniversary kake are 2 of em

boomer

Lurker
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas, TX
What are some online sellers I can order quality samplers from?
I know of Boswell and PipesandCigars...
Any others to be aware of?
Thanks for all the great insight.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I agree with all of the advice given. sample, sample, sample LOL.

If I had to place 1 last order, it would be
Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding

G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight

2 Friends English Chocolate

McClelland's Frog Morton and St. James Woods

:puffy:

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
As to the places to purchase your tobacco, any of the sponsors on this site are very good. I generally tend to buy from smokingpipes.com or pipesandcigars.com because they typically have better prices (at least that's been my experience).

Status
Not open for further replies.