PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2014
Hello, I hope someone here can help me. I came across this pipe and it appears to be late 1800's in design but I cannot find any information on it anywhere. Hopefully the image will show on here but if not the only identifier on the pipe is the words "The Meerschaum" in raised letters on the base of the stem. It is a one piece pipe.
If you can help me date/identify this pipe I would be very grateful!
Chandler

photo.php

photo.php

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205680317593828&set=pcb.10205680320793908&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205680318753857&set=pcb.10205680320793908&type=1&theater

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Certainly looks like a very old Meerchaum, never seen one like it. From my limited knowledge back then it could have been an African Meer or Turkish. The age makes it hard to identify the region it comes from as Meerchaum pipes absorb nicotine and tar and change colour. African Meerchaum usually wasn't pure white, it was dotted with yellow whilst the Turkish Meerchaum is the purest found on earth with a very bright white colour. Then there are many craftsmen who are very adept artesians.
The only clue from what I know lies in the words "The Meerchaum" as you say, hopefully some more knowledgeable members can give you the answers you seek.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Looks more like a clay pipe. Colored more like one too. Maybe even stained to mimic meerschaum. I think I'd be able to tell by handling it. The weight would tell me something. Turkish meerschaum is light. The pipe would be lighter than expected by the size. African would be heavier and have more of a ceramic feel. Clay would probably feel rougher. Rubbing it, your finger won't glide over it. Although, if it's really old it might be smoother. I know it says "The Meerschaum". But they put all sorts of stuff on clay pipes like that. It has a molded look to me.

I'm not saying nobody ever made a meerschaum pipe like that, but carving the stem and drilling the airway would be tough. Easier to make a bowl and stick a stem on it. Look close for molding lines, like a seam.

Dec 10, 2014
it seems to have a glazed finish to it... and i think there may be molding marks just on the bite. I am totally ignorant on this topic... do or did they mold Meerschaum?
It really feels light to me but does have a "ting" sound when tapped...
I am trying to find an idea of age and value as well as location...
Hope you can help!
Thanks for your replies!
Chandler

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
it seems to have a glazed finish to it... and i think there may be molding marks just on the bite. I am totally ignorant on this topic... do or did they mold Meerschaum?
It really feels light to me but does have a "ting" sound when tapped...
That be clay my friend. The ting is the real give away. They made a lot of them. And in many places and times too I think. It could easily be 19th century though. Or it could be a Wally Frank catalog product.

Status
Not open for further replies.