Help! Morino by Savinelli

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by rileyerik
  • Latest reply from rileyerik
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rileyerik

Login to Send PM

Hello pipe smokers!
    I am brand stinking new at smoking pipes. I just ordered my first pipe and it should be here tomorrow. Just in time for National Pipe Smoking Day! I ordered some tobacco to go with it. But this isn't why I am posting in this specific forum. I have a question related to the pipe I ordered. I ordered a Morino by Savinelli Bent Apple. I love the way the pipe looks,but i have heard a few things about this specific pipe that i hope someone can help me with. I heard that they tend to bubble upon smoking them. I was wondering if my specific pipe does bubble what does this really do. Will it change the way the pipe looks or will it change the way the smokes? And does it even matter if it bubbles?
    Just to add to this the tobaccos i ordered were McClelland's Town Topic and Sutliff Private Stock's Molto Dolce. I'm starting out with aromatics and am going to work my way up. Some suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thank you all for your time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got one of these for Christmas. Mine has not bubbled, but it does have a pre-carbonized coating in the bowl that I do not care for. There may be a way to remove it, or you can just keep smoking it until it is gone. Can't speak to your tobacco choices. No doubt others will weigh in with their opinions, but I have not had any trouble with the finish.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Pipes that are painted, shellacked, or varnished have a sealed finish that can "bubble" when the pipe gets hot. I'm of the opinion (not everyone agrees on this) that a painted/shellacked/varnished pipe, being sealed, smokes hotter. These pipes can also develop cracks in the finish and the finish can scratch more easily.

That said, certainly not all sealed finishes will develop any of these problems. Even if one of these issues occurs, the smoking characteristics and quality of the smoking experience will not be affected.

So on the chance that this does happen, the result will be aesthetic, nothing more.

The down side is, if your pipe bubbles, or gets a bad scratch or crack in the finish, and you don't like how that affects the looks of your pipe, it will likely require the entire pipe's stummel (the wood portion) to be refinished to repair it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

rileyerik

Login to Send PM

flintlockjohn what do you use for lighting your pipe?

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use a bic lighter. I would think that the pipe would become uncomfortably warm to the touch before it would get hot enough to bubble the finish. If it is getting that hot, it is time to stop puffing like a freight train and just slow down. Nice pipe, by the way, mine is very similar in shape.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. dottle

dottle

Login to Send PM

I have the same pipe,smokes like a dream,,no probs at all. Just fill that sucker and smoke. As far as the finish, if you bubble a finish,your smoking it hot enough to burn your fingers,so slow down and enjoy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome Riley! That's a great Sav Congrats. I started with a similar shape but not as nice yours. I hope the pipe hobby brings you much relaxation and enjoyment.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 dottle
    That's a nice Sav. I also hear that aromatics smoke hotter. I love the Town Topic. Don't forget to smoke it slow and cool during the break in period. Welcome to the hobby and to the forum. You're gonna learn a lot from the people here. Enjoy the smokes outta that baby.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

rileyerik

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone i really appreciate it.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   yaboofive, kiwicrusaders, fnord, beefeater33, sablebrush52