Help Me With This BBB Please... (image heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Hi,

My neighbour saw me smoking my pipe on the front porch, and came by to show me his pipe (he's not a smoker - yet - but this pipe belonged to his great uncle).
He wanted my take on it. All I could tell him was that it has better grain than any of my pipes!
It's a BBB, with one star. The markings also say "London Made" and "463".

The pipe was purchased in England during WW2, when his great uncle shipped there from Canada. He had the pipe when he was deployed to Italy, where he died after his jeep blew up. He's buried near Rome.
Obviously there's a great story with this pipe. It's still in great shape, and I want to give my neighbour some more info. Anyone know any more about these pipes? I can't seem to find anything about BBBs with one star, and don't they usually say "Made in England" rather than "London Made"? I also thought if I could give him a dollar value (in addition to the obvious sentimental value) he'd think that would be interesting.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry for the quality of the photos - I took them with my blackberry.
img_00000220-600x337.jpg

img_00000217_edit-600x337.jpg

img_00000224-600x337.jpg

img_00000221_edit-2-600x337.jpg

Aug 1, 2012
Wow, that pipedia article is quite the bad translation. For a slightly better one, here's the Reborn Pipes translation. It does look to be a fairly early one so here's my take. Since it's not marked "Own Make" or "Best Make" it is probably one of the lower quality BBB pipes but still a nice pipe in its own right.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Thanks for that link, captainsousie. I know I'm a noob, but I didn't know what "small drainages vertical sand" in the Pipedia article meant. "Sand pit", on the other hand, I understand.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I don't know its value, though by looking at it I would agree with Captain Sousie that it is a "budget pipe". Still it certainly has a nice shape, and well, is old.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Don't know anything about the pipe, but I can tell you once it is polished it will sure look good, heck the thing looks good for surviving a war.

~Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.