PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
I'm new to pipe smoking. Only have a corn cob and wallgreens cherry tobacco just to practice filling a bowl. I'm going to order a Peterson Dracula as soon as I find one with a nice stem. I'm leaning towards the 01 model or 221 or 68,69. I want a sweet blend of strawberry or cherry. I also heard about frog Morton is that any good and which one of them. There are 4. Thank you all in advance for helping me and all comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Jul 12, 2011
Cobs are great for trying lots of new blends; Some of the best advice I can give you from experience; stick with quality bacci, I had a horrible experience with low quality bacci and it kept me from the wonderful world of pipe smoking for over 20 years.
Now for some of the finest "quality" aromatics, again IMHO Boswell is the ticket. They have great cherry as well as some berry blends; Cherry Smash, Pennsylvania Dutch Treat and Berry Cobbler to name a few you might be looking for.
Also, some other good advice IMHO ~ Keep the English/Balkan blends ( MC Frogs ) out of pipes you smoke Aromatics in, you will be glad you did. I don't like sweet Aromatic blends mixing with my English blends, etc.; English blends will ghost a pipe

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Thanks for all the advise I will def try some of them. I can't wait until I can get my new peterson now my only Problem is what shape. I am leaning toward the little bent 01 or even 221 but I also like 68,& 69. Am I going wrong with one of these or as a newbie get a straight pipe?

Jul 12, 2011
Shape and finish is really up to you. What I would be more concerned with is 1. Engineering of the pipe and 2.Chamber diameter and depth; Aromatics IMHO seem to do best in larger chambered bowls with a depth of at least 1.5" English blends also seem to work best for me in a pot-style bowl; larger .80+ inch chamber diameters and about 1.3"-1.5" chamber depth
You will get lots of opinions here at PM.com, which is a great thing. Some smoke any/all blends in the same pipe, others like myself dedicate types of blends to specific pipes; English | Aromatics | Virginias | VaPer | VaBur, etc. I even have dedicated "1" specific blend to a pipe.
Pipe smoking is an endless journey of finding "your own path", take some advice, read lots of bacci reviews..but most of all enjoy and have fun...don't get caught up in all the details; Some very important details such as 1. Quality bacci, 2. Packing of the pipe 3. Moisture levels in the bacci ( don't want to smoke it too wet ) Aromatics tend to have more moisture and need to be smoked very-very slow, which brings me to #4. Speed of smoking...slow-slow and SLOW
Enjoy and welcome :puffy:

peteross

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2012
Salida, CA
Lane's Very Cherry is what it says. I smoke it a few times a week but I'm finding I need to change it up more often for varieties sake. I also found that you should only smoke it in one pipe because you won't easily rid a pipe of the strong sweet cherry flavor.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
until you figure out your good pipe situation id stick with cobs buy two more and jsut try a few of the above mentioned aros. if you like campfires and bbq type scents and tastes find a nice latakia blend. im leaning more in that direction after trying a few types at a near by smoke shop.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Aros are nice for other people but for most smokers they are a little light on flavor and body. Dont get me wrong thou, i got to try Molto Dulce today and really liked it and when i went home my lady didnt even know i had smoked at all.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
So maybe aro is not the way to go what is a good type for a newbie like me? What is this frog stuff I'm hearing or boswells cherry cobbler? I appreciate all the advice I'm getting. Also where do you all look for estate pipes at fle market, garage sales? Thanks again.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
This site has several vendors who sell estate pipe. Usually cleaned and ready to smoke. As for tobaccos, as everyone has stated some OTC(over the counter) tobaccos are ok, most need some drying time as they tend to be a bit goopy out of the bag. I never smoked OTC's, I went for the bulk offerings at a B&M.

Frog Morton's series are a good way to start, just read the descriptions and picked one that appeals to you. They are all fine blends.

Good Luck. :puffy:

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
The best Cherry aromatic I've tried would have too be CULT Blood Red Moon, it's a really good cherry aromatic with a hint of vanilla.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
The Frog Morton blends and a cherry aromatic could not be more different. Really two opposite sides of the spectrum here. You'll certainly get the full flavor spectrum. I would suggest maybe trying something in between as well: perhaps a mildly cased Virginia or VaBur (Virginia/Burley), or maybe just a lightly cased Burley.
I'm a big fan of cobs, so you're doing well there. However, I've found that I'm not a big fan of Latakia blends in a cob - particularly not in a new cob without any cake build-up. I just get too much "cobby" or woody taste (which I find goes nicely with burley but not so nicely with Latakia). That's just my taste, however, and to each his own.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Going to pioe shop and will see if they coukd help me pack my pipe. I have problem keeping it lit. Plus dint really care fir otc stuff I have. Maybe ill get a little 3 bag sampler. Thanks for all advice.. I really want a good pipe. I feel im not getting the true experience. I feel alot of heat probably where im puffing to keep it going.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I really want a good pipe. I feel im not getting the true experience. I feel alot of heat probably where im puffing to keep it going.
My advice is always the same: look into good quality, clean estate pipes from a reputable dealer (not EBay). You will get 2-3 times the pipe for your money and it will already be broken in. This will, IMO, give you the best possible introductory experience and really enhance your pipe smoking experience.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Don't worry overmuch about relights/keeping it lit - it's one of those skills that comes with practice. Lots and lots of practice... :D
Don't worry overmuch about whether other people like aromatics, either. Taste is highly subjective, and changes frequently. If it turns out that you don't like a particular aromatic (or any other blend), don't buy more of it and try something else. Any of the Frog Mortons, for example, will introduce you to Latakia - each of them is a different style:

1. Original - Virginia + Latakia

2. On the Town - Virginia + Latakia + Oriental

3. Across the Pond - Virginia + Syrian Latakia (as differentiated from Cyprian Latakia)

4. On the Bayou - Virginia + Latakia + Perique

5. Cellar - Virginia + Latakia, plus a cube of wood cut from a whiskey barrel to add flavor.
So far, I've only had the opportunity to try the Original, but I look forward to sampling the others soon...
Welcome to the forums!

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Thank you Perique I thinkmi will do that. I dont have nothing againts cobbs imjust feel I am not getting full experience. Im in Ohio where are you all from?

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
CAO's Cherry Bomb is da bomb if you are looking for a Cherry aero.
In regards to which Frog Morton, if you like aeros, start with FM Cellar.

Jul 12, 2011
I would say snap up some quality bacci in all spectrums; to really "find and know your path" which is what I did....smoked about a few hundred blends in the last few years ~ really exploring the wonderful world of pipe

smoking...glad I did
Some to try, my tastes are all over the damn spectrum, glad they are 8)
Make sure you give them all enough dry time; I tend to go border-line crispy...but OH WHAT A SMOKE!
Non-Aromatics ; I'm not an Aro smoker myself...but below blends...MMM-MMM-MMM, don't wanna overload you on blend suggestions right now...
Dunhill Flake

Peterson University Flake

Solani 633, 656 and 660

Marlin Flake

Escudo
Dunhill Nightcap

GL Pease's Gaslight

C&D's Crooked Lane
BTW; I like the handle..are you a US Warfighter?

Status
Not open for further replies.