PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerval

Lurker
Jul 3, 2012
Greeting! I'm a newbie for pipe smoking(about 2 months)and i think I'm still at the frenzy phase, e.g. spending my limited money on this mark of pipe and that blend of tobacco, and regret afterwards. Weeks ago, i found this forum and really like it, I learnt so much from you. while I'm reading theads after theads I'm often talking to myself---only have you asked these guys first!! so, this time, I made up my mind to ask advice from masters before I pull the triguer. The thing is, I have some money that allows me to buy a Stanwell featherweight 243 which I drooled over about a month,but after a second thought, since I've cooled down a little during the waiting, I got the idea that maybe a Stanwell Nanna Acorn is really worth the money. The Acorn cost about 20 more dollar than the featherweight, but I think I can wait and save a little for it. Now what torturing me is that I'm a clencher, I like my hands free during smoking, this Acorn appears a bit heavy to me judging from the picture.(I bought a Savinelli Aligator 804, it's a heavy failure for me, i don't think our marrige will last long). is the Savinelli failure is due to its design? could you give me some advice?( there's no pipe store in my town, so I cannot compare them in my hand)

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Welcome aboard. I first am no master, nor do I own either pipe you ask about, I do however have a stan 191, which looks unbalanced and heavy but its quite comfortable and possibly my favorite pipe. I have an hour fifteen min commute each way to work and I clench that one most of the way..no problem. This may also be true for the acorn, course it also might not but they are somewhat similar.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Hi nerval, welcome to the forum!
I'm no master. I consider myself more of a journeyman. :) If your a clencher than the feather weights are a good match for you. Since you can't get your hands on the pipe you'll just have to go with your sense of sight. I like the Stanwells -don't think you can go wrong there. The only thing with smaller pipes they smoke hotter unless you really go slow, which you should be doing anyways. I had a King's Cross featherweight years ago that I did like. I really like the new Stanwell line called "Mojo". Check them out at smokingpipes.com

Jul 12, 2011
I have a few Stanwells;, 1-featherweight horn/tan and 1-63M De Luxe
If you like the bent Dublin or perhaps a freehand/bent Dublin look

I would suggest going with the 63M line of their pipes, seeing them at

at about 1.7oz VS .80oz on a featherweight (really small looking pipes)

The 63M is one of my best smokers and gives you a nice balance

of size/weight and having an army-mount...oh yeah
Here is a nice looking one from SP

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=102327
All that being said...I "LOVE" Nanna's designs...they are fantastic!

SP had some sandblasted Acorns (sold out FAST) awhile back

Jul 12, 2011
Also it helps to know your preference for bacci blends (if you have them yet ;-)
IMHO-

I say this because if you are mainly a Virginia flake (fold/stuff) then

a nice 3/4" chamber with 1.3"-1.5" depth is a very nice smoker..If you

are an English/Complex blends smoker a nice "pot" larger diameter

chamber with at least 1" depth will really show you the blend

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Really either one would probably be fine. I have some fairly large pipes and don't have a problem clenching any of them. I would suggest picking up some softie bits though; they will save you from chewing through your stems and make for a little better "grip". Just my .02 cent YMMV.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Go for the 243 Featherweight. She's a beauty.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=101154

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
... this Acorn appears a bit heavy to me judging from the picture.

Welcome to the forum, Nerval.
Pictures can be deceptive. If you are buying from an on-line site, they will probably tell you in the description exactly how much the pipe weighs.
The Stanwell I have in my avatar looks bulky, but is really incredibly light.
Post a picture of your pipe when you get it.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I've heard the better quality briar pipes are a bit lighter. Maybe something to keep in mind.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Don't be such a wuss, I can clench a 75 gram ODA with ease, you just gotta get your jaw muscles in shape. :nana:
But seriously, welcome to the forum and you are doing the right thing by asking the guys a question before you purchase. From the looks of it you have gotten some great advice. My only advice is to go slowly and read all you can, there is a large learning curve to smoking a pipe and getting the full benefits from it. I am still learning things and I have been at it a while.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Nerval: If you're a clencher, my two personal experiences are this:
1) Straight pipes are harder to clench than bent. That Sav 804 shape would be a pain to clench for a longer period of time, unless you have jaw muscles like Ahhrnold... ;-) I have a Stanwell 03, which weighs about the same as that Alligator and I can't clench it for a long time.

2) Pipes over 1.5 ounce start to wear on my jaws. But to make it worse, a straight pipe at 1.5 ounce (like your 804 or my Stanwell 03) is harder than a bent pipe of the same weight. I have a Savinelli 645 that's 2.3 Oz. and I can actually clench quite comfortably. Just because it "hangs" more and requires less effort from your jaw to keep it clenched.
If I'm looking for a pipe that I can really keep clenched for hours (like for yardwork or walking around), those are my two criteria. Bent and under 1.5/ 1.6 Oz.
Both the featherweight and the Nanna you're looking at should fit that bill, the featherweight probably being lighter but also probably a little smaller. I guess either one would work fine for me. But all of this is personal preference and trial-and-error. I don't think though you can go wrong with either one.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I have a large bent egg and work in the yard with it, comfortable big enough to put a big wad of tobbaco, don"t have to be going to the gas station every half hour HaHa the old cajun

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
var19.jpg

I wished I hadn't seen this one..

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
I have been trying to find a HCA #2 polished and HCA #7 rusticated or polished they are pretty hard to find.I also have a featherweight and it smokes great.

tiny

Lurker
Feb 23, 2013
@thesmokindragon I'm also looking at this same pipe, and smoke both blends mentioned. As the diameter is just under 3/4 (.673), would you consider it a good flake smoker?

Jul 12, 2011
I have some .79 chambers, and I can take an entire Peterson UF,

prep'in with fold/rip, I fold length of flake about four times, then

rip and stack another four times and it fills the chamber but also

has a little room for expansion when the tobacco is heated giving

a nice draw. So if you prep with a fold/stuff or cube-cut that should

be fine, it you fully rub out the flake, then I would say go for larger

chamber to keep heat issues down as it will burn hot

Status
Not open for further replies.