PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lane sent me a $1 off coupon for OTC pouch tobacco. I have my opinions, but I wonder what others would do.

The choices are Captain Black, Borkum Riff, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half-and-Half, Velvet, and Paladin Black Cherry.

I have a can of Half-and-Half, and I'm not much of a cherry guy, unless someone knows this is exceptional cherry.

What would you recommend? What would you do? (I'm not sure if I can use the coupon for other CB, but they

show the standard white, with bourbon). It's just an ounce and a half, but it would be good to get something I'd

smoke.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I've heard Paladin Black Cherry tastes and smells really strong, like cough syrup strong. However, I did buy a pouch because it was 20% off at the local B&M. If you're even considering it, I'll crack mine open and tell you how it is if you want me too. I'm relatively new to pipe smoking though. But I'd love to help if I can :)

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Dude, you are mistaken!
The coupon is for $1. I just used mine today. Captain Black for $8.69 plus .72 tax minus coupon of $8.41 gives a pouch of tobacco for exactly $1.00, or four quarters. It was worth the money to see the consternation of the checkout clerk.
Too bad CVS only had Captain Black and Borkum Riff. I wanted to try some of the other pouches.
Winton

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
shayde, thank you for your kind offer. Don't open the cherry tobacco pouch for me. I'm pretty sure that's not the one I'd choose. But thanks!
winton, I'm such a pessimist, I assumed it was just a dollar off the pouch, not a pouch for a dollar. Whoopee! I'm so used to weasel-worded

offers, I just assume it is the stingiest deal imaginable. The coupon reads, "$1.00 for any 1.5 oz pouch." I can read that either way. I hope

my local seller agrees.
Thanks, too for the CB and SWR recommendations. Anyone else have a strong preference on these tobaccos?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
mso489, read the fine print on the back of the coupon. Be sure to give time for the clerk to talk to the manager. I considered getting Borkum Riff, since I have heard so much about it, but couldn't bring myself to pick it up.
Winton

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
winton, I received two pouches of Borkum Riff two Christmases ago. I smoked one in rotation, but started

getting some really fine taboccos, so the second pouch I've cut with Lanes burley without bite and cavendish,

and oddly enough, this made a far better tasting smoke. What did you finally get? I may get one of the Captain

Black blends, but not the standard white that I already have, unopened. Some people like SWR. I had bad luck

smoking it in a filtered cob, and I think the tobacco was shelf-stale when I bought it. It's plain but, some say,

honest. A buck for a pouch is too good to pass up.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I got the Captain Black in the gold package. I haven't opened it yet, but it smelled good.

yellowfan

Lurker
Nov 30, 2013
I was very much surprised when I went into an Admiral Tobacco (shudder), handed them 2 coupons, each once being a pouch of Captain Black for $1. Since the retail price at this specific store was $9.41, I felt bad when I walked out with two of them for a total of 2 bucks. I bought the Gold and the Royal. The Gold was absolutely delightful.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
This is a great deal, I used my coupons and got Borkum Riff Light, BR Whiskey, Sir Walter Raleigh, and Half and Half. I pounded through the SWR but have left the others unopened so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.