PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Gentlemen, few minutes before i was trying to warm jar filled of tobacco to seal it well in a basin of hot water, ok, problem is jar slipped and filled of water, all the tobacco in the water now.
I've emptied the tobacco in a big tray and tried to remove excess water but still very wet
Am I lost my tobacco? or there is a way to restore it back?
Your help please, it is a big amount and I suffer alot to buy tobacco here in Saudi.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Paper towels. No need to worry much. it will dry out, but you will need to keep a close eye on it so it doesnt over dry. I know you a big CB fan so I dont think much of it will lose flavor. its not somuch an aero with a casing, as it is a blend. So you should be ok.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'd just leave it on the tray and see if it will dry out. Stir it around once in a while to make sure it all drys.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I think if you spread it out onto paper towels and let it dry naturally it should be fine. Turn/stir the tobacco a lot so it thoroughly dries. If you have an incandescent desk lamp, maybe use it to speed the process.
Experiences like these are why I don't fiddle with my tobacco too much. I'm pretty clumsy so if there's a way to mess it up, I'll find it.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
@pipedisciple

Thanks alot for your advice
@tokerpipes

I've tried to use paper towel, but it goes very brown is it normal? thanks for your great help, I hope CB wont lose its flavour
@ejames

Thanks sir, I will leave it on the tray and watch, gonna tell you the result, how much do you think it needs to dry?

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Hanymamdouh; the best thing that I can suggest is to spread the tobacco on paper, allowing it to air dry and jarring when it reaches the happy medium. I would also keep a very close eye on the affected leaf for mold growth while in the jar.

I've heard that some blending houses use (distilled) water as their humectant - hopefully you don't have too much treatment (or extremely hard water) in your part of the KOS.
Good luck!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I would just add one caution.
Some say that you should only use distilled water when you re-hydrate tobacco. I think that is so the minerals or impurities in the water don't affect the taste. Be careful if you still intend to store this tobacco long term.
If it is still good, it might be good to smoke this tobacco first. I'm not sure how the tobacco might be reacting over time to anything that might have been added.
This caution is only based on things I have heard, not on any personal experience.
Good luck, Hany.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
CB is well cased and so will not smoke the same after a water treatment. As far a s drying it, yup a paper towel and shake it up every now and then. Be careful not to over dry it, then you will have to humidify it again. It will smoke, albeit with slight taste difference but, it will smoke. Adam is right, watch for mold in the jar afterword.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Gentlemen Mr. schmitzbitz, Mr. Mike, Mr. Philip, Mr. Pipeinhand,
I really don't know how to thank you, you saved me, I've did all your advices, spreading the tobacco on a towel paper, allowing it to dry, I will stir it time to time. btw, I'm thinking to keep the water rest in the jar in the fridge, I think I may use it to rehydrate it again causer it still has the falvour of the tobacco, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks again for yout prompt help, you are really the best friends.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
That is something you could try. Never heard of doing it but hey you may find a way to add flavor to the tobacco. You could try placing the tobacco once dry in a big flat keeper and put some of the bacci water in a shallow cup in the keeper so the smell permiates the tobacco. Worst case is it doesnt work but thats not saying you couldnt blend it with some good CB and make a batch stretch further.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Oh man, I thought you didn't have the water anymore. Get a glass plate big enough to hold it all, like a baking dish, put the baccy in there and pour the water over it. Let it air dry with the water. Stir it every 2 hours, making sure the water soaks into the baccy. Do this until the water is all gone, even the brown stuff on the bottom. Then place the baccy on a paper towel until it is dry enough to smoke. Do not seal this baccy in a air tight container until it s dry enough to not permit mold. You may just save it most of the flavor and all. Smoke it and see how it turns out and let us know.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
@tokerpipes

I had to try yiur advice. As you said worst will be nothing.
@pipeinhand

Your advice seems conflict with mr. Mike. I think i will be in the safe side and divide tobacco to two parts to try both advices. Thanks for your help.dear friend.
@mlyvers

Mr. Mike i appreciate your help and thanks for your concern. I will tell you what will be the result after trying both advices.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
One thing, Your in an area with little or no humidity, so it should dry pretty quickly....... As for how dry, let it dry till it's the humidity level that you like to smoke, then put it back in a dry jar. If it were me, I'd probably do as suggested and smoke that batch first, just to be on the safe side.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
@shawn...I will keep the thread updated when it dries and tell you the result
@smokingdawg...As you said, humidity is very low here and it should dry quickly, it is now 12 hours since the accident and still very wet. I don't think letting baccy soaked in the black water until it dries will damage the falvour. Anyhow I've did both, divided it two to equal parts, one is soaked and other is spread on the paper towel. I will update you the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.