Help me Plan an Itinerary for a Road Trip (Vancouver to San Diego)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
My grandmother-in-law has decided that at the ripe age of 92, she is ready to move back to Vancouver from Escondito, California (basically San Diego). I have agreed to take a couple of weeks off to fly down with my wife to help her pack, then drive the truck full of her belongings back to Canada (while her and my wife fly).

Obviously, this is going to see me taking my sweet time (to some degree), and playing tourist whilst on the road. If I play my cards right, I should be able to justify a couple of nights in each state (California, Oregon, and Washington). I plan to follow the coastal highway; although the passes are faster, they can be questionable in an unfamiliar truck during inclement weather, and besides, the coastal route is scenic and relaxing!
So, to the crux of the matter. I will stop at as many tobacconists as I possibly can between there and home - but alas, south of Seattle and North of L.A. I am entering new territory. Are there any shops along said route (or not too far off of) that I just can't miss?

What about general touristy stuff/awesome pubs/restaurants, etc. etc.
Edit: Grumble grumble, I clicked into the General Pipe Smoking Discussion rather than the General Discussion. Can a mod please move this for me? Thanks!
Edit: Moved per your request. M

mrdirt22

Lurker
Nov 18, 2011
Schmitzbitz
Might I suggest stopping at "Rich's" in downtown Portland. A very nice tobacco shop.
Casa Guadalajara in Old Town San Diego has excellent Mexican food. There is even another restaurant in Old Town where they make all their tortillas fresh. You can watch them through the window.
I-5 between S.D. and L.A. is a beautiful trip. If you have the time I would take HWY 1 and 101 up the coast, you'll see Monterey Bay and the Redwoods. Carmel is along the way and makes for quite a nice little stop. It's a very artsytouristy city overlooking the bay.
Continuing on 1 & 101 you'll see the amazing coast line of Oregon, passing through Lincoln City and Cannon Beach.
Hope that helps!

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
If you stop in San Jose Ca. On your way north check out Smokers Paradise on Union.

chestercopperpot

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2011
House of Calabash is in the Portland suburbs. Apparently one of the last old school Master Blenders left.

http://houseofcalabash.com/

I would imagine tobacco taxes are lower in Oregon compared to California, but I don't know.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Telford's looks very interesting. Wish I lived closer. Thanks Brew.
Yeah, so do I! It's only about an hour or so away, but I have to cross the Richmond bridge, which means tolls and it's a bit of a hassle. It's probably good it's not just around the corner or I'd be there a couple times every week.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Visit "Old Town" in San Diego. There is a great shop there, Racine & Laramie, which is very cool with lots of pipes and cigars. They have some cool old fashioned decor too. Plus, Old Town itself is awesome., There are all kinds of shops and restaurants.
If you like Mexican food, you are in for a treat too. There are a few Mexican places there, but there is a super good one that is kind of near the end of a street on a corner. I think it is close to Racine & Laramie.
racine-laramie-01.jpg

racine-laramie-02.jpg

The Hotel Del Coronado is a cool place to check out. It has a great history and is an historic place.
hotel-del-coronado.jpg

If you like wine, check out Orfilia Vineyards.
orfilia-vineyards.jpg

There is also the San Diego Pipe Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.