PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hey guys, I have been in touch with a local art dealer .. sort of the guy that wonders across Europe and liquidates estates whenever somebody passes away, in search for precious art in their houses, or bargains at auctions etc. Every so often in those estates he comes across pipes, all sorts of pipes. One in particular catches my eye, it's a Savinelli Autograph, although I believe he is asking too much for it. His asking price is EUR 100. Searching on e-bay I believe I can get a similar autograph for less than that if I am patient. Also he has for sale these dutch cured sumatra cigars... machine made although I am curious, since the VSOP from these have gotten cigar of the year award when they first came out in Holland. What do you think is a fair price I should offer them for the cigar pipe combo? I have posted pictures below ... The EUR 100 may be over my budget but since my birthday this summer I am willing to go a bit crazy in treating myself ..
IMG-20180505-_WA0012.jpg

IMG-20180505-_WA0033.jpg

IMG-20180505-_WA0029.jpg

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
You need to know the grade for the pipe. Ask him to photograph the hallmarks.

Cigars - are you sure they are not dried out by now?

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
It looks like someone cleaned it up pretty good. It's probably about a $100 pipe, give or take, based on similar completed ebay auctions, so the 100 Euro ($120) price isn't out of line, but yes, you might find a similar pipe cheaper if you look around.
I'd run from those cigars like the plague.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
MadoX, as for those Schimmelpfennings to keep them in smoking condition they'd need to be in the humidor,It'll be another thing it these were not older than 1 year,nontheless there maybe a chance you can rehydrate them.On the other hand these are like very good well known brand name.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have to know what level of Autograph this is, so get the stamp info from the pipes. Look at new Sav Autograph offerings as similar as possible, to get an idea. Look at smokingpipes.com estate pipes to see if they offer a similar pipe of similar vintage. I don't know exactly what this pipe is, and I don't know the market. My sense is that this is a market price but not a deal. Based on other pipes from other sources, I'd make him a lower offer, but don't close the door. He might say no, then get back to you and come down. Depends on how much you want the pipe, but I don't think I'd pay asking price.

Status
Not open for further replies.