PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcirka

Lurker
Aug 28, 2012
I'm not necessarily new to pipe smoking. I did it in college a bit, but really just smoked whatever tobacco was around. I have very little knowledge of the types of blends and what they taste like. If you would, I'd like a recommendation as to what types to sample and any brands of that type. Sampler packs are a plus since it allows me to try them while staying price conscience (since I tend to be an infrequent smoker).
From what I understand, there are 3 main types:

English (No additives; Usually contain Latakia)

Aromatic (Contains sweeteners and other additives; tend to smoke wet)

Virginia (Burn hot)
I assume there are many subtypes, but I will respect your recommendation on which types to consider as this point as I explore the gamut of pipe tobacco.
Really appreciate the help. Thank you.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
BCirka, welcome to the forum. Enjoy, sit back and relax. We're usually a friendly bunch and don't bite ;-)
There are many, many types of tobacco and their taste will even vary depending on their preparation methods. I strongly suggest perusing the website and especially the "Ask GL Pease" sections. He regularly elaborates on one kind or the other.
In addition, this question comes up regularly on the forum as well. Here's a couple of links. So search for "Types" or "Tobacco Types" and you will find hours of reading pleasure ahead.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/help-information-overload-need-recommendations

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/virginia-1 (lawrence's answer has some really good links there)
To answer more directly, most will agree in the following tobacco "types": Latakia, Turkish, Oriental, Perique, Virginia, Cavendish, Burley.
Finally, to have some really good info on this, here is a good article on wikipedia and one on its sister-site Pipedia
As far as getting started, the site sponsors sell some good sampler packs that are decent in price and give you a good variety to explore. Both pipesandcigars.com and smokingpipes.com have excellent customer service, but you can't go wrong with any site sponsor. Get an aromatic and a non-aromatic sampler and you should be set to start exploring and figuring out what you like. The variety is huge, so don't get frustrated. Before you know it, you will suffer from TAD (Tobacco Acquisition Disorder) and build a cellar. It's a normal consequence of pipe smoking :puffpipe:
If you want to make your own sampler, definitely include Lane Limited 1-Q, a mild aromatic, which really is what most people associate with the smell of pipe smoking.
Good luck

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
If your Virginia blend burns hot, you need to work on your smoking techniques.

Virginias may have the potential to burn hotter that the other types, but to say Virginias burn hot is like saying sports cars drive fast. It really does depend on who is behind the wheel.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Virginias may have the potential to burn hotter that the other types, but to say Virginias burn hot is like saying sports cars drive fast. It really does depend on who is behind the wheel.
BINGO!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Cortez, thank you for providing the link to that FAQ - I just reread it last night and it is incredibly valuable.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bcirka, welcome to the site. The guys have given you a lot of great info and a ton of reading to do. I will say that Virginia's do not burn hot if you learn how to smoke them, and have the proper pipes to smoke them in. I smoke Virginia's exclusively and never burn my tongue. I will say that certain ones do not agree with my body chemistry in that I get an acid burn on my tongue not from the heat, but from the processing of the leaf, and certain red Virginia's. I have found over 25 great blends that I can smoke without issue and am addicted to va flakes and vaper flakes. Here are a few that I would recommend for someone wanting to get into the world of flakes.
Fribourg&Treyeer Cut Virginia Plug

Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster

Escudo( vaper)

Solani 633( vaper)

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Maybe we should make a song about the tobacco types and their characteristics to make it easier to learn. It worked with multiplication tables.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
To add to your list, there are "Orientals", "Burley" and "Perique"
My experience with Virginia tobaccos is that they can have a... bitterish biteyness to them. That might be what you mean by "hot", I think
It's pretty uncommon to be smoking a pipe tobacco that isn't a "blend" of two or more of all the major strains.
They're pretty distinctive in flavor, though, and you'll come to recognize this as you try different blends.
Read patiently, smoke patiently, you will learn a lot!

bcirka

Lurker
Aug 28, 2012
Thank you all so much for your help. The links were immensely helpful. Headed to the tobacconist last night and picked up.
aromatic - Boswell's Christmas Cookie (I actually had this lying around)

english - Frog Morton's

vaper - Orlik Golden Sliced

burley - No burley yet, next time!
Also grabbed a corn cob pipe for $5. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.