PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markosp

Lurker
Aug 24, 2018
Hi Guys,
I'm new here, and pretty fresh pipesmoker. Sorry for my English, it's not my first language. I used to smoke cigarretes for several years, few month ago I finally quit this nasty habit and switched to cigars which I really enjoy. Then, about month ago I've started smoking pipe. It's not that easy as cigars, but I keep learning.
Not long ago I've decided to buy some estate pipe and try to learn how to clean and refinish it. I've bought for couple of $ a pipe advertised as "Stanwell no 38". Here are original pictures:

8oa3o3o.jpg

BgMyuNG.jpg

lnsIJxs.jpg

But under this name, I cannot find any pipe similar to mine. There was no visible markings on the pipe, no embossing etc.

The pipe is 9mm filter, with Stanwell logo on the top of the stem:

n1mjLcD.jpg

The pipe finish was in particuraly bad shape, so I decided to remove it with alcohol. After removing the finish, I accidentally found some almost vanished text on the back:

15Jxs93.jpg

aZeci8M.jpg

The top line is "weLL", almost certain this is just half of the Stanwell logo (I've checked here: http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-stanwell.html), then there is visible "48" just under WELL part of the logo, with some unclear letters to the left (from the mentioned site, I've learned that might be trademark register number).

The last line is "**GE". Where most probably it's "ROGE". There is nothing visible more to the left. The R letter is somewhat visible, and I'm certain for that it's R for 90%, I'm not sure about O before "GE", it might be different letter.

Then there is a big 40 or 48 on the left side.

It's rarther not "Stanwell ROUGE" as this "R" is second letter left to certain "GE" part. I cound't find anything that can fit on the mentioned side. Maybe you can help me decipher it? I want to know the exact model and series, maybe year to find an original photo from the original catalogue.
Btw, Is it briar for sure? I'm pretty new to this hobby, so I don't know how to be sure aobut it for 100%. I wanted to repaint this pipe in green. Can you recommend me the right way to do this? I wanted to use spirit varnish and finish it with carnauba wax. Is it okay?

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
1. Yes it is briar

2. Yes it is a Stanwell. The logo is not in script so that dates the pipe to after the 1950’s

3. The second line under the Stanwell name is the registration mark (Regd No 969-48). That means the pipe is pre 1970’s or early 1970’s at the latest

4. The logo on the stem has a crown over the S and was white, this likely places it late sixties, earlier sixties the crown was stamped on top grade pipes only and accompanied with a hand cut inscription but later on the crown became standard

5. The last line is hard to figure out. It denotes which series the pipe was. Could be Royal Rouge, it is the only series I know of that will fit the GE that is visible.

6. The big numbers will be the shape and that has me stumped, it’s not a 40, that was a billiard, its not 48, that was a Sixten pipe with a different shape, the 140 was a bent Dublin so that does not work, the 148 was a straight so again not right, the 200 series shapes I am not sure about.
So in conclusion you have a Stanwell from the registration era, and it I s a beautifully elegant cut with classic Danish subtlety to the lines. Reg era Stanwells are well made and very high quality, cherish it, because it is a beauty. Please avoid the temptation to varnish it, it will ruin the smoke.

markosp

Lurker
Aug 24, 2018
It's so great to hear it. I've bought it just randomly searching my local auction portal for like $8 :D
I've removed all the finish with alcohol, it was something strongly RED, easly pealing off when brushed with just a little of strong alcohol on the paper towel. The wood itself was also coloured, I soaked it in bourbon for several hours, and it dessolved completly.
So what would you suggest about the refinish? Right now i want to soak it a little more, to remove all reddish color still on the wood. Then I wanted to clean the inside of the bowl with sand paper. Then use softer sandpaper like 800-1000-1500-2000 to sand the bowl from the outside. Also I wanted to polish the stem to make it shine (what method would you suggest?, I've only soaked it in bleach)
Then I wanted to finish it in similar method as it was originally, but in different color. Do you recommend me against it?
Do you know, based on the description how I removed it above and first pictures, how it was originally finished? If I shouldn't paint it in any way, what should I do after sanding? Use wax? Can you recommend me any good home-made method for beginner to finish it correctly and not damage it? (my first restoration ever)

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
Ah the restoration rabbit hole...
It is probably the easiest just to point you to my YouTube channel, where I cover all the questions you just asked and more. Just search for Barepipe and my channel will pop up. The logo is a smoking bear

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'm going with shape 42 "Freehand, full bent, rectangular stem and mouthpiece"
http://www.stanwell-tabak-pfeife.de/t1163f5-b.html
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.