PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
Hey Folks,
I started out smoking aromatic blends 5 or 6 years ago. Mainly Captain Black and cheap store blends. I was perfectly happy with them until I bought my first English Blend. Then I had to try more English blends and eventually lost all interest in my mason jars of cheap aros. Then last July I decided I wanted to try them again. I took a ziplock bag of some along with a beater pipe out to the local trout stream where I spent the afternoon fishing, pitched a tent in the evening, built a fire, sipped some scotch, and fired up the pipe. Immediately I was hit with disgust. I hated it. I tried to tough it out to the bottom of the bowl but only made it a third of the way through before I was cursing it and dumping it into the fire. About 30 minutes later my stomach started to hurt. I got in the tent and lied there feeling sick. At about 1:00 in the morning I woke up feeling REALLY sick. I will spare you the details, but I spent the rest of the night until 7:00 AM outside the tent and the rest of the next day feeling bad. Now, it might not have been the tobacco. It could have been the small town SubWay sandwich I ate. Or slight dehydration (it was over 100 during the day) coupled with a beer or two and the scotch at night. But the tobacco seemed to be the tipping point. I mean, I haven't had the desire to give up going out in the heat, or fly fishing, or eating at SubWay , or beer, or Scotch, but I threw ALL that darn aro junk away and never looked back. But now I kinda miss that nostalgic aro smell and room note. I don't know that I have ever actually had a GOOD aro. So, do you think the tobacco made me sick? If I were to try just one aro again, what should it be? I know it is ridiculously subjective, but what is the BEST blend to get me back on the aromatic horse?
CW

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You're going to catch a lot of hell from the (ahem) purists, but I like all genres. Autumn Evening is a nice maple aro that I enjoy when fishing and lunting. An extremely mild aro you may enjoy is Angler's Dream

Jan 8, 2013
I would say it was the 100 degree heat, the beer, scotch, and perhaps the Subway sandwich. The nicotine from the tobacco finally pushed you over the edge it seems. Since you like Englishes, Kramer's Blend For Cary Grant is an English/light aromatic that might be right up your alley. It will give you the English flavor you like so well, accompanied by a bit Irish Aromatic to sweeten the taste and room note. I absolutely love the stuff. Here's a link to some reviews. http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/4315/kramers-pipe-and-tobacco-shop-blend-for-cary-grant Of course, skip over all the other reviews and read mine.... well, you can read JimInk's review too. He's been doing this a lot longer than I have :mrgreen:

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
You're going to catch a lot of hell from the (ahem) purists, but I like all genres.
Yeah, but I'm a pretty big boy. I can take some hell. Besides, I definitely can sense that I am becoming a purist myself, and I want to be able to enjoy what the best of all the, as you say, genres have to bring to the table. It's like music. I definitely have my preferences as a musician myself, but I can appreciate what the various genres are doing. AC/DC is not on the same level as Bach but I can listen with great appreciation to both.

Jan 8, 2013
AC/DC is not on the same level as Bach but I can listen with great appreciation to both.
Au contraire mon frère. You've obviously not heard AC/DC's Thunderstruck on Cellos! :mrgreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT3SBzmDxGk

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
Okay, I read the reviews on these and they seem great so far. Maybe a good way to eeeeaaaase back into aros. Keep 'em coming!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A good English aro you may like to try would be Two Friends English Chocolate.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
A very aromatic horse:
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugazcvzOM0Q
Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lroZLN1gQnw

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
A year ago when I picked up a pipe I started with aro's simply because they sounded good. Now I pretty much don't like them except for:

Autumn evening

H&h Berry nice

Holiday spirit, actually all of the Christmas blends, corn cob pipe and a button nose, for example
I still have a jar of admirals choice vanilla which was cheap but I really like.

preacherpipe

Lurker
Oct 18, 2017
I'm a big fan of Black Gold from Hiland Cigars (Scottsdale, AZ). It's a game changer, and the only aromatic I smoke year round. I prefer lighter English (HH Vintage Syrian or Frog Cellar) or Virginias. I do smoke a few seasonal aromatics, which I enjoy mainly because their different. Autumn Evening, Sleepy Hollow, and Holiday Spirit come to mind. Some guys rave about these. I think they are OK. They are certainly fun for several bowls worth of smoking, but I couldn't stomach these blends year round.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Try a couple mild aromatics first. Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend, Amphora Original, and Kramer's Cary Grant blend (as Anthony suggested). Frog Morton on the Town may suit you. If you want something a little stronger, try MacBaren 7 Seas Regular or their Black. Really, there is a ton of choices, so think about the kind of flavor you would want in an aromatic, and browse through Tobacco Reviews... or ask us. We're free, too! :D Or at least cheap! :rofl:

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Lane Limited: RLP-6. It's always one of the best-selling tobaccos at the major online retailers. It's flavorful, consistent, and behaves well in the pipe.
1-Q and BCA are good as well, but I like RLP-6 the best. These blends are sales kings year after year for a reason.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Like Jim said go with some mild aromatics.
C&D String Duster is my go to aromatic right now. Red and bright virginias with some Turkish thrown in. It's lightly topped with maple and rum. To me it's got a beautiful buttered rum feel to it. But the tobaccos are the main course. Better in a cob than a briar.
C&D Corn Cob Pipe and a Button Nose( which I'm smoking right now) has red virginias burley and cavendish. Topped with cocoa and vanilla. I suggest jarring this one for a week or two. The topping settles down and the tobaccos really shine through. Has a wonderful cocoa note. Kind of like a high class OTC. I have found this one does better in a briar with a large chamber.

I like aromatics, they provide a change of pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.