PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
I recently moved to an apartment where smoking cant happen indoors and it really sucks, so now I'm going to smoke on the go while I'm commuting to work. I am looking for the best clencher possible, and will be filtering through many pipes before deciding and would like all of your input. I have already done much research and heres some things I've learned:
Weight - around 1 ounce or less

Stem - typically more bent is better. I've tried short/straight pipes and they dont agree with me for clenching at all.

Stem width: a wide tip is supposed to give more surface area for clenching

Stem Material: vulcanite is better

Bowl: as big as possible while keeping the weight down. Small/medium

Bowl material: meerschaum is light but not very durable however it may be the best performer. cob is light but not enough bend in the stems. I'm not sure.
Would anyone like to help me narrow it down? I reallllly miss smoking a pipe... :(

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Look for an Oom Paul shape pipe. I would definitely go with briar (over meerschaum) for smoking while active. These pipes tend to have deep, billiard-like chambers, some very deep, so that should help on your big bowl requirement. Once you try one, you will see that weight isn't too much of an issue. Certainly doesn't need to be an ounce or less. Personally, I find vulcanite stems much more comfortable for clenching (acrylic is to hard) and a wider, flatter mouth piece is best. I guess that's about it.
As I've mentioned elsewhere, I personally don't really like the look of the shape, but it is extremely practical.
Good luck whichever way you go!

This is like picking out shoes for someone you don't know, haven't seen, and given a list of things that look to be terrible choices.
My criteria for a great clencher looks nothing like your list. My driving pipe is well over 2oz, straight, with a huge bowl, because if I am in the car, I want to savor my pipe for well over an hour. Really, I only have a handful out of over a hundred pipes that aren't great clenchers, IMO. However, someone else may think they are fantastic clenchers. You may be overthinking this.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I don't think you can get a bent pipe with a medium-sized bowl weighing 1 oz or less. Bent pipes are usually a little heavier than straight pipes. If you really want them ultra light, Chacom has the Campus series, Savinelli has Minuto, Peterson Belgique, Rattray's Blowers Daughter. These are all lightweight, but with equally small tobacco chambers.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Here are a few from smokingpipes that I think fill the bill. All relatively affordable, sandblast or rusticated, full bent from solid manufacturers.
BriarWorks Oom Paul

Savinelli Punto Oro Sandblast Oom Paul. The 614 shape in general would work in pretty much any of the lines. Perhaps because it's a Punto Oro, but the stem looks thinner on this than some of the less expensive lines.

Peterson System Standard 314 P-Lip - Nice looking pipe, IMHO. Smaller than the others and the P-lip is narrower, but I like them for jaw hangers. Something's amiss with the photos though. The second photo is of a smooth. I'd ask them to look at the pipe before ordering.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's whatever fits and sits comfortably. All my briar pipes are bent to some degree, my preference, and rest unnoticed in my jaw. You have to be able to find a "sweet spot" in your mouth. A couple of my meerschaums are now weight forward and heavy to clench for any length of time but, they are for reading so they can rest in my fist or on my chest as I sit.

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
Excellent. Thank you all for the feedback. Very helpful. I'm definitely going to try to narrow it down some more. I'm liking the oom paul recommendations. I'll post back what I get.

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
Just ordered this! I really hope that stem is vulcanite as it says... thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G1SVJB4

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I have a BC Supermate that was my first pipe purchase, back in about '97. Very nice saddle stem billiard with a moulded vulcanite stem. I haven't smoked that pipe in years, but it gave me yeoman service while learning how to. I like the one you purchased even more.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Nice looking pipe! I can say from personal experience that Peterson System Standard 313,314, etc. are small, light, excellent clenchers. I never hold my 313 unless I’m lighting or tamping. Looks very similar in size to what you got, I’m sure you’ll love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.