PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
The title says it all. Hal was his name and he was the first one who piqued my interest in the hobby. I can remember the distinct smell of his pipe - the QUINTESSENTIAL pipe smell, maybe just the tiniest hint of a minty smell, THICK thick smoke. So thick you couldn't see through it. I only took up the hobby myself a few years ago and the only direction I have to go is "He bought it at Walgreens" a drug store on the west coast here. Which is plausible because there was no internet back then, and that was the only place to get tobacco in his neighborhood. Ive checked and now they only have one or two random tobaccos.
For you long time pipers - what tobacco has that quintessential pipe tobacco smell? I KNOW someone here will know. The one that everyone loves? Ive tried Half and Half, Prince Albert, and I know it wasnt 1-Q. Any thoughts will help. If I smell it, I will know it instantly.
Thanks Gents...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I have it right, I think PC stills sells this under the brand name Admiral's Choice, and I believe they have several different blends. It's bag tobacco so should probably be jarred. I understand it is still quite a brisk seller, continued by popular demand.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Definitely could be...the woman at Walgreens said they used sell "bags". "Vanilla Cavendish"? They have several flavors..hmm. OK Ill add that to the list and try it.. thanks pal

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Ijust received a bag of Admiral's Van. Cav. from WV that I have posted about. Total bargain, though all I have checked out is the tin note. No difference than more expensive tobaccos and it did not seem overly drenched, in fact, ready to smoke. They have other flavors that I may buy in th 8oz bags, too.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Half and Half of your grandfather's time is not like the modern day version, one of the cases where the oldie was a goodie. May want to give Carter Hall a try.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
I may bring my Japanese Kiseru pipe out to try some of these, as I am already about sixty blends deep. Kiserus are great for about six puff trials.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Captain Black White....this has the quintessential old man pipe tobacco smell.
I may bring my Japanese Kiseru pipe out to try some of these, as I am already about sixty blends deep. Kiserus are great for about six puff trials.
thank you! Its on the list! Thanks boys!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Sometimes blends change so much over time, the only thing you can recognize about them is the name.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
True...he died back in the late 90s. Capt black original may have not changed much but who knows for sure

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If it does turn out to be the vanilla-scented Captain Black regular, you're in luck. I've smoked that one occasionally since before the late '90s, and that one hasn't changed, as far as I can tell. Good luck in the hunt!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Oh, absolutely. It never fails to get compliments on the mellow, vanilla-ish room note. It's a very comforting smell that people always seem to associate with pipe smoking.

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
It was probably an OTC blend that had the Deer Tongue herb, tonquin bean or coumarin.
All these have Coumarin which imparts that fragrant unique "je ne sais quoi" taste and aroma
This along with other aromas like vanilla, cherry, cocoa, coconut, liquorice, molasses, rum, fruit etc make that classic "Pipe Aroma and taste"
Some say Deer Tongue even has hints of mint in the taste. The smell is a unique complex vanilla type.
Its not used anymore though, in the OTC blends.
I'm guessing your Grandfather smoked the old version of half and half, which had Deer Tongue.

In fact many of the blends from yore did. Gold Block, Royal Yacht, mixture 79. Even British flakes like capstan etc.
C&D Gentleman caller has Deer Tongue and apparently reminds some folks of the old half and half.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/deertongue
Also Samual Gawith "Sam's Flake" had tonquin bean
hope this helps in your search
-Tim

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I may well be the odd one out here but for some reason I can't smell the smoke from my own pipe, I can only taste it.
My olfactory senses are in perfect working order when it comes to anything else. I also doubt I would be able to name a blend being smoked by another person unless it's one of those nasty cherry blends...I can spot those a mile away :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Deertongue; intriguing. Thats another very good potential candidate. Im going to have to place another order for all this. Already busted my tobacco budget for the month but who hasnt??
THanks Tim, thanks Jay

allthebass

Might Stick Around
May 7, 2017
Bettendorf, IA
I may well be the odd one out here but for some reason I can't smell the smoke from my own pipe, I can only taste it.

Same here. There are sometimes moments when I first start I bowl I very briefly smell it or say I step outside and then back into a smoky room. A few years ago a friend was over he packed up one of the tobaccos that was sitting on my table. When he lit up I was amazed at how incredible and aromatic it smelled and when he told me it was Frog Morton On The Bayou I was even more shocked. FMOTB is one of my favorite blends, but I had nevered actually been able to smell it before! Lol!

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Captain Black is what I always went to when out of Captain Spice. It had a lot less vanilla, though. If CB is what you find close to you, the Admiral's Choice might be more enjoyed or Peter Stokkebye Black Cavendish. His blends labeled Vanilla are not Black Cavendish so have a totally different flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.