PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Hey guys,
I have been looking to purchase a new kick around pipe and find myself leaning toward a bent bulldog shape. Seems to be the best fit for my face and teeth. So here is the dilemma. I want to stay under $150.00 dollars Canadian and I think I have it narrowed down to two pipes. The first is a Peterson St Patricks Day Shape 80S, really nice pipe with a silver band in fact my current favorite pipe is a Pete 999 from about 14 years ago. The second option is one of the Tsuge bent bulldog going for around $50.00 USD. Oh the pete was around $90.00. So cast your votes and any advice is welcome.
Thanks Guys!
Piperl12

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
where are the pictures?
I know nothing about this second pipe of yours, but Peterson is quality and been around for a looong time. I've been wanting to get a Peterson system pipe myself.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Never had a Tsuge pipe, but I do have five Petersons and can say I love them all. All the Petes smoke wonderfully. I've liked the look of the 999 and 80s Pete shapes. So, that's one vote for the Pete.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I've been eyeballing those Tsuges, and they are beautiful. But if I had a choice, I'd go for the 80S. But that's just me - I haven't seen a review of the Tsuge, and Pete's have a good rep for quality.
You could always get both!

Aug 1, 2012
If you have a Pete (or 3), I'd go for the Tsuge to get an idea of different pipe manufacturers. It really depends what you want more.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
both of them together are still under 150, just saying., honestly i would say that you may want to go with the cheaper pipe as your beater pipe as much as i love petes the odds of you thinking it is too nice is kinda high.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
How small is the bowl on the Tsuge? I believe you're looking at SPC and the dimensions are pretty small. If you would like a small pipe, I would go with the Tsuge, otherwise you can never go wrong with a Pete

Aug 14, 2012
I had 1 Tsuge, which cost over $200. It was a good pipe with 3 defects: the stem was small and cruddy; the yellow stain had to be removed with alcohol to get a good smoke and the walls of the bowl were so thin it overheated. I sold it. I have about 33 high end Petersons and love 29 of them.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The Tsuge bent bulldog at sp is only a group 3 size which means about a half hour smoke. If that is what you are looking for then go for it. The price is a hell of a deal. If you do go for the Pete, make sure you call the retailer and tell them to go over the pipe with a fine tooth comb. Tell them you will return it if it is not drilled properly and if it is loaded with fills.
If it were me I would take this tsuge, it is a group 4 and will give you a good hour smoke.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/tsuge/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=94941

southernbriar

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Both of those pipes are nice don't get me wrong, but, I agree with nfisher
Neither. If it's a knock around pipe for fishing, hunting etc, cob is the way to go
However for a knock around another option would be to look at a basket pipe also. I picked up an Amadeus squash tomato that the hole was slightly off center and smokes just fine for $30 as a basket pipe. Sure it isn't labeled other than made in Greece, but it is a knock around after all. The main thing would be function right? You may have to look through the whole basket, but could come up with a gem. Or an estate pipe?

subtech77

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2012
I would go for this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ser-Jacopo-Rhodesian-estate-pipe-/230856129122?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c018fa62
I have one not so different, and it smokes like a dream. Ser Jacopo is a top notch brand

Status
Not open for further replies.