PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikec13

Lurker
Sep 26, 2012
Please help me to understand the science behind smoking slower allows you to smoke cooler. I would have thought that in order to keep the pipe lit you would need a consistent air flow to keep the tobacco lit (keep the tobacco hot) yet I read that the secret to keep the pipe lit is a slower cooler draw. Any info you can share to explain why slower works would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Something something Newton's law of cooling something something physics...
I think it's simply because when you smoke slow the smoke has time to cool on its way to your mouth, allowing the temp to change.
Also, because you're smoking slower, you tend not to draw so hard, keeping the coal smaller and thus generating less heat.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You ever make a fire outdoors on a still day, feeding it slow smokes curls up slowly and you can stand close to the fire, now the wind picks up, smoke rises faster , you stop feeding the fire but it gets hotter as the wind picks up and you have to move away because its a lot hotter, now that is what goes on inside your pipe. The old cajun

Aug 1, 2012
A good pipe has an ember and not a fire. Embers burn slowly and can maintain a burn for long-ish periods of time. A lot of fire in the pipe will make the mouth and tobacco hotter and will lead to pain and reduced/changed flavor. Too much heat can change the taste of the tobacco itself and make the flavors unpleasant, adding to that the fact that most mouths don't fare well with steam burns it makes a good case for a cooler, slower smoke.
Just like coaxing a new flame to make a campfire requires gentle airflow, coaxing a small bit of ember slowly through a pipe results in a more pleasant, less frustrating experience. It also takes a good bit of practice with packing, lighting technique and smoking cadence to get a pipe that doesn't go out and delivers that holy grail of a smooth, subtle smoke. I've been smoking steadily for the last 5-6 months and I still only get a perfect smoke some of the time. Don't worry about relighting, it comes with the territory.
Hopefully that makes some sort of sense.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Imagine what a bellows does to a blacksmith's fire.

BIN3629.jpg

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Think of your pipe as a forge and your mouth as the bellows. The more oxygen the bellows push or pull into the coals the hotter your fire will be. You want smoldering temps not smelting temps. Most blends will taste better with a slow controlled burn versus a hot fast burn. I believe this is due to less moisture created and just more slowly toasting the tobacco below the cherry allowing more volatile flavor molecules to reach your taste buds rather than being completely destroyed from high temperatures in the bowl. That being said it would probably take a few degrees in chemistry, physics, and thermodynamics to understand all the mysterious magic that happens in a smoldering bowl of tobacco. :puffy:

mikec13

Lurker
Sep 26, 2012
Thank you for the quick responses. Sounds like doing everything well just takes practice and reps! Like learning to improve my golf swing it helps for me to know what to do but in order for me to really get it I need to know why I should do it and I need to practice! Thanks again.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
While we're sipping, if the embers keeping the tobacco lit die and the pipe goes out, so what. We just have to give the tobacco a little gentle tamper, then relight the tobacco and get back into the groove.
Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.