PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redheadedsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Iowa
I'm sure in one fashion or another, this has been posted elsewhere, but after sifting for a while I figure I'd try posting anew and see where it gets me.
Question: For a newer pipe smoker who wishes to 'graduate' and move on to non-aromatic blends, what suggestions are out there for blends to try next?
All I've smoked has been aromatics in one fashion or another, rather than blends with no (or little) casing.
Favorite Blends thus far:
Peterson Gold

McClelland VBC

McClelland Honeydew
Just to name a few. I often hit up my local tobacco shop and invest in random blends, but always with some form of vanilla. I don't smoke for the nicotine. I enjoy the tingles on my palate and since this will be my first time stepping outside of what I know, I'm hoping some of the more tobacco-savvy have some ideas, as my past experiences are obviously limited.
I have not yet received them, but two recent orders on their way: McClelland's Frog Morton's Cellar and Orlik Golden Sliced (both have raving reviews and I figure why not?).

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I am fairly new myself but I will have to say, with out a doubt: Yule Log from pipesandcigars.com. It's not going to be around for ever and its a decent price too. It's fantastic and heavy in latakia but also an aromatic so it has a slight sweet taste and scent. If you give it a try please let me know how you like it.
Btw let me know how you like the Orlick. I have a can of that myself purchased a couple weeks ago. I am afraid to open it lol.
I pass on Frog Morton.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
The following are great "crossover" blends for Aro smokers looking to branch out:
English-ish:
Two Friends English Chocolate

Pipeworks & Wilke No.5

Pipeworks & Wilke No.13
Flavored VaBurs:
Erinmore Flake

Peterson University Flake

GL Pease Barbary Coast (with Perique)
VaPer hybrids:
Peterson Irish Oak

Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake

Haddo's Delight
Sweet Virginias:
Rattray's Marlin Flake (with plummy-side Perique)

Orlik Golden Sliced

Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake
I'm sure others will chime in with alternatives, as there are plenty of great crossover blends out there.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
As a mostly aro smoker preferring sweeter blends like chocolate cream I truly like Mac Barran's Latakia Role Cake. It was recommended during a purchase at smokingpipes and although I wasn't rolled by it, I found my self after trying it, first desiring it, then liking it much. It includes to me a nut like taste with the english taste.
It grew on me well. I also like the part about breaking it up from the chips it comes in. Kinda like collage days if you get my drift, and builds up a little anticipation.
Be ware though that english blends will burn a bit on the tongue so you will want to smoke them easier. At least in comparison to my other aro blends that is what I found. Maybe the other more seasoned english smokers will advise on that.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
For an aro I like a black cavendish with as light a casing as possible. Bennington's No 40 Erebus is my go-to. I recently tried Sutliff's Barbados Plantation and Top Shelf, liked them both at first but less so with each bowl. Somehow the black cav suits me better.
For non-aros, I've tried a bunch, but have settled on two Dunhill blends as go-tos: Royal Yacht for an (almost) straight Va, and Nightcap for a lat-heavy English. I have a tin of Three Nuns on order, going to give it a try.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
+1 Sam on the Honeydew.

If you like Honeydew which is a broken flake, then I assume that you like the smoking qualities of flake tobacco.

That being said, some good Virginia based crossover flakes you might want to try are;
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake

Mac Baren Mixture Flake

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake

McClelland Deep Hollow
All of those are slightly aromatic, but still let you taste the Virginia in them.

The blends that you've ordered are good ones! The Orlik is a Va/Per, but the Perique is barely perceptible. It really tastes more like a straight Va.

The FM Cellar is an excellent crossover to Latakia blends, if you like it then you would probably like Hearth & Home's Mazatec as well. That being said, all of the Frogs are great and I highly recommend trying all of them!
Have fun exploring, and welcome to the forum!

Dan

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I was completely sold on aromatics until I got a sample of Prairie Wind from 4noggins.com. It was my first VaPer. I still have a couple of tins of areo's from that order, because I turned to VaPers and Virginias after that little sample and haven't turned back. That tobacco really opened my eyes to the non aromatic side of the house. I still keep it on hand and will be stock piling it when I move back to the States in a few months.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
The Frog Morton Cellar is a good one to start with. Personally it's not one of my favorite blends, but it has some latakia and a lot of flavor without being an aromatic. I made the transition from aromatics to latakia blends years ago with an order of Squadron Leader, Early Morning Pipe and Nightcap. Personally I latched on to the EMP first but the other two didn't take long. I think EMP is a good way to break into latakia blends if you don't want to go the crossover route and just want to jump right in. It's a good light/medium lat blend and it's a classic. If you hate it, just jar it up and try it again in a few months.
Another one I've heard good things about it Just For Him's Shortcut To Mushrooms. I've heard it (and Frog Morton Cellar) called Aromatic crossovers for English lovers. Either of those should fall more on the "English" side than on the "Aromatic" side.

redheadedsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Iowa
Thank you all for the suggestions!! I've done some digging, added some to try and plan on ordering a few! EMP, Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake and McClelland Blackwoods are next up on the list.
As for the Frog Morton's Cellar and Orlik... I haven't cracked the Orlik yet, but I did smoke my first taste of FM Cellar...and wow! Sam was right when he mentioned it'll be a shock to the ol' palate, but it was fantastic and different! Time will tell once the newness wears off if it's something I'll have around, but it's a step in the right direction and look forward to seeing what your suggestions bring. A lot more 'play' on the taste buds than I'm used to, and without (much) flavoring to overpower the tobacco, it was an eye opener.
Again, much appreciated!

blazze

Lurker
Feb 8, 2014
+1 to all of the Frog Morton Blends (English-Latakia blends), Early Morning Pipe, (Latakia) and Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake (Vaper with a bit of black cavendish). All are excellent first steps from the Aromatic world.
Some very good English blends to grab once you have found you like Latakia...
Black House and Magnum Opus by Hearth & Home. I enjoy both of those on a very regular basis. Nightcap has a permanent place in my cellar as well.
If you find you enjoy the virginia & perique side of things..
Escudo Navy Deluxe is one of if not the most popular Vaper and one I thoroughly enjoy as well.
Good Luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.