PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
I'm bidding on this pipe:Peterson and I want to know is it worth Continuing bidding and gping higher. please your advise

K

klause

If that pipe sells for Four times the current bid, it's still a cheap pipe.
If it was me, and I wanted a decent Pete, I'd quite happily keep bidding - get it for less than £60 and you've scored a super pipe at a great price.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Worth and value depend on so many things. Decide on what you want to spend and stick to it. Occasionally you may decide it's with just one more bid. Getting a bargain means nothing if you have spent next weeks rent.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Decided not to buy it and wait for my next chance, as tempting as it was.

@darthcider:

I have taken your advice

purplemotoman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I say figure what you want to pay and use eSnipe, close eBay and don't look again until the bidding is done.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
esnipe is the only way to bid on eBay. I am sure there are other programs that do the same thing. People like to be winning an auction so even if they have no intention of bidding enough to buy the item at the end they can drive up the price which may cost the buyer more. I sold a bunch of stuff on eBay before an international move and I had items jump over $60 in the last 10 seconds of an auction as I was getting multiple snipes. So make sure you put your maximum bid into a sniping program or you might not win and have no time to fix it.

purplemotoman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I also find that some people don't even pay attention to some pipes until there is a bid on them. By using eSnipe you don't alert any bidders to it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What you don't want to do, regardless of whatever strategy you decide to employ, is get in a bidding war. The only person who wins in a bidding war is the seller. Figure out what the item is worth to you and don't bid more than that.
In figuring out what the item is worth, do some diligence. Use the "advance" search option to see what similar items have gone for, so that you have an idea of it's market value. Ask the seller for better pictures if you aren't satisfied with what has been posted. Know what you are bidding on.
Occasionally you will get a steal deal, but generally results will fall within a traditional range for that item, regardless of strategy. That's been pretty consistent, regardless of bid pattern and history, over the auctions I've followed, about 35,000 over the past 10 years.
The one key to not being roadkill, is to not overbid, and you need to know what the market value is to avoid doing that. If you lose it's no big deal. There are always more opportunities.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I agree with all said above. I bid in last 10 seconds my max bid. That way I don't have time to succumb to auction fever and bid a ridiculous amount. Chipping away at bidding alway brings out the crazies who have to one up you 2days before the auction is over

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It takes me to long to decide if I want to buy a pipe in the first place to get gamed out of a pipe bickering price, which

is why I don't buy on ebay or any auction situation. Once I have finally decided after months, a few dollars one way or

another should not be an obstacle. The gaming in an auction is fun, but it's not a good way for me to buy anything.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Thank you all guys. This has been a very informative and helpful post. Now it's time for me to sit and digest all this information and plan my pipe buying strategy.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Best advice on bidding wars: avoid them like the plague.
There are so many great deals to be had on the shit-bay it is ridiculous. In the past week i have scored an arley curtz (my third) for $60 shipped, a Greek made Amadeus billiard new and unsmoked for half retail price at around $30 and an Erik Nielsen flame grain for %60. I win almost all of the pipes without sniping. All it takes is patience, research and common sense to score nice and sometimes rare pipes. There are a lot of factors that go into getting good deals, but that is what google is for. Use it, it is your friend. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE BIDDING.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Best advice on bidding wars: avoid them like the plague.
There are so many great deals to be had on the shit-bay it is ridiculous. In the past week i have scored an arley curtz (my third) for $60 shipped, a Greek made Amadeus billiard new and unsmoked for half retail price at around $30 and an Erik Nielsen flame grain for %60. I win almost all of the pipes without sniping. All it takes is patience, research and common sense to score nice and sometimes rare pipes. There are a lot of factors that go into getting good deals, but that is what google is for. Use it, it is your friend. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE BIDDING.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Sable, i was watching that one as well simply for the humor of seeing what it would fetch! What do you think the actual value on that pipe is, in your opinion? I forget what Primal had it listed for in the estate section on SH website.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
HI layinpipe,
Pretty entertaining, ain't it?
I've noticed a marked increase in this looney behavior over the last 2-3 years. The pipe has been nicely cleaned up, but it's not mint, near mint, or extra fine. Rim shows rounding from buffing and other wear, handling marks, tooth mark on the stem, etc. But, it's a Dunhill and a venerable one at that. Allowing for Dunflation, I'd put a market value at around $1200, and that's generous. Not the worst overpayment I've seen, but a pretty good example.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's another good one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371163311534?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true
$93 to $283 in the last minute.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=371163311534&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Status
Not open for further replies.