K

klause

Afternoon All,
I've come across this marvelous pipe (bottom of pic):
IMG_8895.jpg

It appears to be a repair job on the stem:
IMG_8886.jpg

I can make 'Asbur..'
And 'Selected Q', presumably 'Selected Quality'.
There are marks on the Silver cap, but they are not English hallmarks as far as i can tell:
IMG_8888.jpg

And the stem has a logo, but I'm doubtful that the stem is original, or, if it is, it adds credance to my belief that the shak has been repaired with the cap:
IMG_8887.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas who this pipe was made by? Its a beautiful shape.
Thanks for any help offered.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Asbury would be the logical guess for brand, but they were made in England and this pipe LOOKS Danish.

The stem logo could be AS, which could seem in line with "asbury", but pipephil lists the only stem logo for the Asbury brand as a "K" inside of a shield.

The only "SA" stem logo I know of is Savinelli, but this one doesn't look like theirs.
Like you said, possibly a mismatch of stem and stummel.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
No, at high magnification, it appears the next letter has to be either an 'M' or an 'N.' That leaves you with ASBURN--- , something like ASBURM--- makes less sense.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
There is an Asburnham on the south coast of England in a place called Hove. It is sometimes called Ashburnham. Whether it has a connection with the pipe I have no idea.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is a good pipe identification puzzle. Obviously it is a patchwork of repairs. The design sure looks Danish. I don't see that one coming out of England.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I have a database of a zillion brand names and their makers. Nothing matching Asburn---- comes up in it though, but there are gaps in the data.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
The marking on the stem looks simular to the Asbury stem markings
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-a8.html

K

klause

Thanks for all the feedback, Gents.
You have all just confirmed my own findings and suspicions. Initially i thought of Asbury, but the letter that is partially obscured is most likly an 'N' or an 'M'. The stem logo is certainly diffent to the Asbury on Pipephil. In all I'm thinking beautiful Stummel, with shank repair, possibly reusing an old end cap, and a mongrel stem.
It would be worth, i reckon, getting a descent stem made to go with the pipe.
I love these little enigmas - its all good to ponder of an evening when the day is drawing to a close.
Thanks for the help - much appreciated.
Oh! One last thing: Didache, I know Ashburnham well, as it was an old stomping ground of my youth - good days! And, thinking about it, it could be the name on the pipe - there would be space especially considering that almost certainly there is the complete phrase, 'Selected Quality' under the main text on the shank.

K

klause

OK - Mystery solved.
It's definitely Danish, made by Poul "Denge" Hug.
It's an Asburne.

Status
Not open for further replies.