PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I bought this meer at a local "olden days event". It says MANXLAND BLOCK MEERSCHAUM 122. I paid 25 bucks and I'm just wanting to know more about the pipe, and if its any good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the inside of the bowl.

Here is the symbol on the stem.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Manx was made on the Isle of Man. Hope this helps.
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-m1.html
Manx Meerschaum
Isle of Man United Kingdom
Meerschaum pipes

Enlarge
▲ (On band)
◊ Millenium of Tynwald ◊
▲ The Tynwald is the legislature of the Isle of Man. It is claimed to be the oldest continuous parliamentary body in the world. Its millenium was celebrated in 1979.
Meerschaum pipes

Enlarge
▲ ◊ Manxland Blockmeerschaum, Great Britain, 867 ◊
Laxey Pipe Factory (closed in 2002).

Other brands from the factory: "Manxpipe", "Manxman", "Manxland".

See also: Man Pipes

Aug 1, 2012
What you have there is an African meerschaum pipe made by Manxman on the Isle of Man. It is the same company that made Pioneer meers as well as Peterson African meers and, I believe, Barling African meers. $25 isn't too bad a price for one in good shape. While they aren't the highest quality Turkish, mine smoke rather well.
Edit: Just barely beaten by papipeguy, good info sir.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks a lot for the info guys. It smokes great! Now that I know that it is African meerschaum, it makes sense because it is a bit heavy(for a meer). The rim is charred beyond repair, but I think it gives it character. It has found a good home with me.

Aug 1, 2012
The black stuff on the rim, unless it's truly cake/char, is a pre-coloring because African meer doesn't color well. They tended to color the rims black and continue the color down the outside of the bowl for about 1/4".

Status
Not open for further replies.