Help Identifying manufacturer. Sasieni One Dot?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
This pipe is marked "Schaeff" with "Chicago" below. I have tried valiantly to find more information on Schaeff, including asking my Chicago Pipe Collectors Club buddies, Chuck Levi at Iwan Ries, and scouring Chicago city directories from the 1910s through the 1930s. Not a trace of a Schaeff tobacco/cigar/pipe shop. I have two pipes from this shop which are quite similar. The other is another similarly shaped large billiard that undoubtedly was made by Comoy's. It bears Comoy's standard circular "Made in England" stamp plus a shape number 127, which matches Comoy's shape chart. This may be somewhat important information since it suggest that Schaeff was buying quality English pipes for their house branded pipes.
Of course, the single clue that leads me directly to this being a Sasieni One Dot is the single light blue dot on the top of the stem. Being a fairly standard large billiard with a taper stem doesn't offer much of a clue. The beveled rim might be useful.
So, have a look at the photos. Is this a Sasieni One Dot?
_DSC0511-X3.jpg

_DSC0513-XL.jpg

_DSC0514-XL.jpg

_DSC0517-XL.jpg

_DSC0520-X3.jpg

_DSC0519-X3.jpg

_DSC0521-X3.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Very interesting. We'll see if Jon Guss can offer any info. At this point all I can say is that there's nothing in the styling of the pipe that suggests that it couldn't have been Sasieni made. Odd that there are no other stamps, which would have helped with tracking inventory.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Interesting. Let's see an end-on view of the slot, and an oblique one of the tenon.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That's definitely a molded stem.
Either the original was replaced, or Sasieni was using molded blanks that far back AND was willing to put their trademark on non-premium / otherwise unbranded goods.
That said, while the workmanship/shaping of the stem is fairly low effort, the LEVELING is excellent, which would indicate it isn't a replacement.
A possible answer: a blue dot, though unauthorized, was used by a shop for its in-house brand.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Better phrasing of my last sentence above:
A possible answer: a single blue dot was used by a shop for its in-house brand. (Sasieni only backed off and changed to eight/four after getting sued by Dunhill... a single shop could have easily escaped their notice)

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I'm pretty certain it's the original stem. The shank is fairly out of round and the stem's fit is quite good, but not superior. Of course a very skilled repairman could fashion an excellent replacement, but if you did that, then why one with a Sasieni blue dot? The rim looks kind of GBDish to me.
It seems there's not enough identifying features to really nail the manufacturer.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Of interest:
https://rebornpipes.com/tag/one-blue-dot-atlas-powder-co-pipes/

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The taper of the stem in profile DOES NOT look like any Sasieni stem I've ever seen. The concave rim is also something I don't associate with Sasieni. Even if it were a private label pipe, I would also expect a COM mark of some kind.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Looking pretty unlikely to be Sasieni-made. The Atlas Powder Company pipe article was interesting. The author wasn't able to determine their manufacturer conclusively, either. I notice that their blue dot is much more vivid than on mine. Mine is quite pale. Perhaps even paler than the old Sasieni dots.
Thanks for all your input, all!

Status
Not open for further replies.