PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
As the thread says, I just got this pipe at an estate sale for a song, but it has no markings. It was in overall good shape, except perhaps the finish may not be what it was. I had some ideas what it might be, but I would like to have a name to put to it, before I buy another bowl or two for it.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Hextor, it does smoke like a dream. This is the second metal in my collection (the other being my great grandfather's old Bryson).
Ashdigger, thank you, but I seem to be a step ahead of you. I checked there, and it gave me a couple possible leads, but nothing definitive. At first, I thought it may have been a Filto, but the end cap doesn't match, and the stinger makes me believe it is not one of theirs.I just can't quite pin it down.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Kibo, I'm glad you're a step ahead. While it's a great resource I have several pipes that aren't there either.
My metal pipes ALL smoke extremely well.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Ash, I'm 2 for 2, and becoming a believer. I tend to keep an eye out at estate sales for pipes, but this experience has me thinking of actively hunting down a couple more metals for the menagerie.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I'd have to look a little tonight if you haven't received an answer yet. But it is reminiscent of a Kirsten, however the stinger throws it out of that category to me. That Stinger reminds me of either Kaywoodie or Grabow, both of which produced this style at some point to compete with Kirsten and Falcon.
As I said, I can pinpoint the make and model later tonight if someone else hasn't already chimed in with the answer. Lots of knowledgeable friendly folks here!

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Many thanks clickklick. Smokingmetal has me thinking it might be a Peak, but there is hesitation in that thought. There was one in the unidentified section that looks a good deal similar too, if I recall correctly. Someone suggested to me in person that it could be homemade, but it seems too precise, too 'manufactured' to me. I'm not entirely ruling that out, along with it being a piece frankensteined out of parts in someone's collection.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Screw through*, sorry I misworded it and just realized. I'm batting all zeroes today on te communication front.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
I'll get a pic of it posred here after I clean it up. She's resting now after a run with some War Horse r.c.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I saw a bunch of parts for these on ebay a while ago. 50 stems, 50 bodies, 50 bowls. I remembered the name of the pipes, Comet. Looked at smoking metal:
http://www.smokingmetal.co.uk/pipe.php?page=222

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Thanks Snagstangl. I wasn't too sure about that, because the bottom on mine remains rounded, but the Comet on Smokingmetal appears flat bottomed, and the stinger vs the 9mm filter.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Thanks all. Now I'm off to track down one of those radiator bowls... it just looks neat. Also a couple more 'conventional' type bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.