PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajonline

Lurker
Mar 1, 2013
I recently found this estate meerschaum and I'm having problems identifying it's maker. The golden accents on the bowl seem to be gold, but I'll have that verified by a jeweler this week.
However the hallmarks seem to be puzzling me. When holding the bowl in the left hand and the stem is pointing to the right to see from left to right 3 hallmarks: Anchor, Star, & something I can't quite make out that has worn down. It may be a bird/eagle of some kind. Any help is appreciated!
386413_10151532293130081_660875258_n.jpg

Here is the rest of the pipe:
483742_10151532293145081_75154439_n.jpg

599745_10151532293215081_1600758970_n.jpg

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Logos
Tried to find a lead for you as quickly as possible. It looks very exciting. Seems the company that owned that logo, C.P.F. Chesterfield, was bought out by KB&B (now Kaywoodie) in 1883. Look closely at the pipe -- if the last marking is a bird, than I think we have a match. I can't really tell from the picture.
Good luck and thanks for sharing!

ajonline

Lurker
Mar 1, 2013
I'm thinking the same thing because I found this showing the hallmarks by C.P.F.
cpf2b.jpg

Thank you bro!!

ajonline

Lurker
Mar 1, 2013
Well for one thing, if it could talk, I'd listen to it for hours. The only immediate plans I have for it right now are:
1) dancing around my living room singing "I found an antique meeeeeerrrsscchaaauuum" (check)
2) Cleaning it up a bit more (check)
3) Smoking a bowl full of a nice aromatic to see if any ghosts from the past come around to tell me stories. (hey, a guy can dream!)

ajonline

Lurker
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks very much!
TopD, it surprised me, but sometimes things like this just fall through the cracks! BTW, Thank you for your service. I've gotten turned down by every branch of the military when I went to sign up because of my asthma (in recovery now), so I have a special place for peeps who've served. So OO-RAH, sir!

ajonline

Lurker
Mar 1, 2013
I took it by a jeweler today and had the metal tested. It's 10k gold around the bowl and the accents, the ferrule is sterling of course. During researching this thing, I did find that it was made in the late 1800's....which is stinkin' awesome...
Now comes the matter of trading this for a Trans Am....any takers? haha

ajonline

Lurker
Mar 1, 2013
It's definitely itty bitty compared to some of my others. It's gotta be all of 4" long from bowl to stem. It has the original case with it also. The ladies in the jewelry store were going nuts over it, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.