Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Help! I broke down (and bought a Dunhill)

(47 posts)
  • Started 1 week ago by alaskanpiper
  • Latest reply from augiebd
  1. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Alright Dunhill/English Pipe nerds. I swore I would never buy a Dunhill. Obviously the controversial pricing and differences in opinion regarding quality (and how much of what you are buying is just the name) had a lot to do with that, but I had an opportunity to scoop an estate one up for a price that seemed reasonable to me for what I was getting. The curiousity finally got to me and I couldn't help myself so I pulled the trigger. (From what I understand this is how most ignorant n00bs like me end up with one).

I'm sure there are a few members who will tell me I've purchased a mini flower pot (you know who you are *pirate emoji*) , so let's try not to turn this into dump on dunhill/dump on those who dare dump on dunhill thread.

Simply looking for information from our resident human pipedia geeks about what I've got here. It is a 1973 Dunhill Red Bark Apple. See pics below.

So my questions are, what have I got here? Does anyone have experience with this shape/era of Dunhill pipes and how they smoke? And what would your best guess be regarding it's value? All parts are (supposedly) original, however the bowl has been reamed a bit, and has a new coating in it, but looks ok (to me anyway).

Thanks all!

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3 with nomenclature

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 week ago #
  2. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I own two random Dunhills and I know literally squat about the brand, as a whole.

That said, both of mine came at reasonable estate prices and both smoke well.

Your "prince-like" shape is one I admire and it seems to be reasonably cared for.

The most important thing will be, after you smoke it a few times, how does it perform?

I'm glad I could answer none of your questions.

Congrats and enjoy!

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 week ago #
  3. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Your "prince-like" shape is one I admire and it seems to be reasonably cared for.

The shape had MUCH to do with this purchase. The prince (especially larger bowled/longer ones) is one of my favorite shapes. This one has a fairly small bowl 1.14/.67 but is over 6 inches which is sort of my benchmark for minimum length. There's a joke in there somewhere.......

The most important thing will be, after you smoke it a few times, how does it perform?

This is honestly all I really care about. I buy pipes to smoke them. But, if I'm gonna have it, I might as well know what I have, eh?

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I'm sure there are a few members who will tell me I've purchased a mini flower pot

I only did that to the ones that wouldn't pass pipe cleaners. That's just unforgivable.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 week ago #
  5. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

That's just unforgivable.

For the cost at which most dunhills (or most any pipe) are acquired, I can't help but agree.

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

It's a nice shape. I think it's a Ruby Bark finish. You can find out the date of manufacture from the stampings. The numbers after ENGLAND give you the date.

Here's a good source for grokking Dunhill: http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/cledat-en1.html

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 week ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

assaad

Login to Send PM

A very nice pipe, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I think the Red Bark predated the Ruby Bark.

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is an early Red Bark, I think they started making them in the early 70's. The staining on the early ones is much nicer than the pipes made in the later 70's and 80's. I am sure she will smoke like a dream for you.

Don

Posted 1 week ago #
  9. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Dating on nomenclature indicates 1973. According to pipedia, redbarks began in 1972/73.

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The first video of this playlist contains a fair amount of Redbark history and info:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFwwtvtKlXW9Cck1UslaCawEQg21bD8zS

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 week ago #
  11. shayde

shayde

Login to Send PM

Since the day I was first interested in smoking, I have always thought dunhill’s to be the best looking pipes

Congrats on this beaut

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." -Robert W. Service
    Posted 1 week ago #
  12. cshubhra

cshubhra

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great Pipe. Enjoy!!!

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How much?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

bayareabriar

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe. Early 70s dunhills don't bring as much as 60s and 80s dunhills... unless it's the red bark (like the one you have). Group 2 is on the smaller side and may affect the value... Typically $50-$75 dollars less than a group 4. This would sell on the ebay for around 175-200. Retail store would probably ask 350-400 for it. Hope that helps.

Posted 1 week ago #
  15. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good looking Dunhill in what appears to be decent condition. I’d be happy to own it. Hope you got a good price!

On a pipe adventure
    Steve
    Posted 1 week ago #
  16. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe! It looks like it would be pretty versatile, for both shorter English smokes as well as flakes.

This one has a fairly small bowl 1.14/.67 but is over 6 inches which is sort of my benchmark for minimum length. There's a joke in there somewhere.......

Penis! There.

Posted 1 week ago #
  17. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

How much?

$163

Posted 1 week ago #
  18. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Not bad. Looks to be around a group 2 or 3. A nice 30-45 minute smoker.

Posted 1 week ago #
  19. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

A nice 30-45 minute smoker.

That's what I'm hoping for. With a 2 month old in the house, sometimes the 90 minute break you had scheduled becomes a 30 minute one before it even begins, hahaha.

Posted 1 week ago #
  20. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha, ha. I know how you felt, sorta, with regard to owning a piece of Alfred's legacy. It all comes down to marketing and quality control.
    The stem alone on that pipe should result in a favorable review.
    My only Dunhill is shown in my avatar, and I wouldn't even smoke it for more than a year, thinking I'd made 'an investment'.
    Once I realized I would never get off my ass and try to sell back for a profit, some of my estate acquisitions, I began to smoke my 1954 Shell and to appreciate its well constructed and comfortable essence. I still don't smoke mine as much as I do an old MM Pride 2nd, but, when I do, I always think of Alfred, and all the folks who have bought in to make the brand.
    'You are not alone' can be comforting.
    I think you'll enjoy yours. I also think that one might be 'enough' in that some of my more inexpensive Grabow's are just as fine to ME.
    Just like tobaccos, learning about brands or makers is its own discipline.

Posted 1 week ago #
  21. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wallah !! what a pipe, Gr. 2 are beautiful !!

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  22. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is a nice looking pipe. If it smokes well for you, you like the shape, and the price you paid is something you are comfortable with, that's all that matters.

Posted 1 week ago #
  23. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a 1976 Dunhill Red Bark Dublin I found in an antique shop. It's a good smoker.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 week ago #
  24. husky

husky

Login to Send PM

The first video of this playlist contains a fair amount of Redbark history and info:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFwwtvtKlXW9Cck1UslaCawEQg21bD8zS

Who is the gentleman behind these videos? They are great!

Posted 1 week ago #
  25. husky

husky

Login to Send PM

Realized that it is grumpy cat avatar aka georged.
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge in these videos!

Posted 1 week ago #
  26. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not a Dunhill guy (my way of saying I don't own one). But i really like the shape on that one, nice light weight pipe.

Posted 1 week ago #
  27. hauntedmyst

hauntedmyst

Resident Comedian

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe! I love the way DUnhill's smoke. I hope you enjoy it!

A tattoo on a beautiful woman is like graffiti on a Ferrari.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  28. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

It is a nice looking pipe. If it smokes well for you, you like the shape, and the price you paid is something you are comfortable with, that's all that matters.

+1 to that fine sentiment

Posted 1 week ago #
  29. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Realized that it is grumpy cat avatar aka georged.
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge in these videos!

I always thought that cat had more of a stern expression than a grumpy one. More along the lines of, "OK, human, enough of the string-on-a-stick thing... bring me my dinner."

I appreciate the arbitrary weirdness of cats in general, you see. Little aliens from another dimension, or something.

As for the videos, you're welcome.

I make them for shop guys, but have discovered that some people just like "behind the curtain" info for its own sake. Like how golf balls or bullet proof vests are made & etc. In this case, I remembered going into some detail about the Red Bark line to explain what the project was going to involve and why, which was exactly what the OP asked for.

If you aren't familiar with YouTube channel organization, know that there are about 20 more projects out there. You just have to go "up" a level from my last link to see them:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQlM1pWKqd5prZTdEDANZg/playlists

Posted 1 week ago #
  30. husky

husky

Login to Send PM

You are right about cats, both your avatar and in general. I am caring for my sisters two cats for a few months
    and I am just starting to see some guidelines in their behaviour.
    I have been watching your videos for the past few days and hope to put some of it into practice.

Posted 1 week ago #
  31. verporchting

verporchting

Login to Send PM

Georged, that video series was pure magic sir. I spent a very enjoyable evening smoking and watching you transform a marginal pipe into something outstanding. Wow.

Posted 1 week ago #
  32. lraisch

lraisch

Login to Send PM

I too broke down and bought a Dunhill just to find out what they were really like. In my case I got a Red Bark prince from the old Sherlock's Haven in San Francisco. The pipe was new, but relatively cheap as the finish was apparently not that popular at the time.

Mine is a group 3 supposedly, but it is a very small pipe for all of that. I have a Savinelli Punto Oro which is nearly identical. If I covered up the White Spot, I doubt anyone would be able to tell which is which.

The Savinelli smokes better.

I have since acquired two more Dunhills. A Dress finish (at my wife's insistence) and a birth year (1949)Shell.

The Shell is an excellent smoker with one of the more comfortable bits I have experienced but I don't want to generalize about the brand based on my small sample.

Posted 1 week ago #
  33. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Georged, that video series was pure magic sir. I spent a very enjoyable evening smoking and watching you transform a marginal pipe into something outstanding. Wow.

I'm delighted you found it entertaining and/or enlightening. That you watched it while smoking makes it even more satisfying.

Thanks for the feedback.

Posted 1 week ago #
  34. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the estate market on Dunhill and White Spot pipes is the way to go. The prices are still pumped up, but they do settle into the zone of rationality. You do have to be alert to the condition of the pipe, so you don't buy more of a restoration project than you want, but at least you aren't paying the "new White Spot tax" at those exalted prices.

Posted 1 week ago #
  35. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very Nice looking classic Dunhill prince, I have seen similar shape as Yours being sold at some Italian based vendors brand new,and they were far from being affordable but definitely all them were classy looking pipes, now, judging from my experience and solely with this my brand new ring grain,yes I'm very delighted and positive how it smokes, simply great,but honestly I shouldn't have been buying it at the full market value since today's WhiteSpots in my eyes are severely overpriced,and then there was this set back with broken shank repair which in the end resulted that this very sucker has cost me so much I would not like to think about it more,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 week ago #
  36. husky

husky

Login to Send PM

Can someone make out what this is and if it is worth buying?

Posted 1 week ago #
  37. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shape 111, group 3, Shell, with original fishtail stem, made in ?2, in good condition (provided the chamber isn't burned).

One of the Duke Street Irregulars can probably figure out the "?" digit based on the size and position of the stamping.

Posted 1 week ago #
  38. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sure it's worth it, at some price! A steal at $100 I'd venture. What's the asking?

Besides the obvious Dunhill marque, I dunno if it's particularly rare or not.

Posted 1 week ago #
  39. husky

husky

Login to Send PM

It comes with all the original(?)accessories so I guess it won't go cheap but I was looking at the shape of the bowl and wondering if it is from the "rushed production" period?

Posted 1 week ago #
  40. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

DUNHILL over SHELL BRIAR is 1960's, I think.

Pipes from the 70's & 80's had DUNHILL SHELL on the same line.

Based on the stem's shape, my guess is the first digit of the date was "updated" with a later year (not common, but far from rare).

Chamber condition is key. The rest of the pipe looks good and the accompanying stuff is legit.

The bowl shape IS a bit wonky and probably got some hard looks from QA, but passed.

Posted 1 week ago #
  41. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can’t make out the date code in the picture, but that’s a late 50s to mid-60s by my guess. I have a 1957 of the same shape and Group number, and it’s a great pipe. Is it worth buying? If you want it, then it is haha.

Posted 1 week ago #
  42. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a very nice looking classic billiard

Posted 1 week ago #
  43. husky

husky

Login to Send PM

That's a very nice looking classic billiard

Paul, I'll pass on it so here's the link if you want to have a go?

Dunhill billiard

Posted 1 week ago #
  44. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No matter what people say, Dunhill shapes are a treat for the eye, especially the quaint ones.

Cheers,
    Chris

Posted 1 week ago #
  45. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just be wary when you reach the pearly gates and Saint Peter asks you if you smoked a Dunhill or not.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 1 week ago #
  46. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Er. What'd be the preferred answer, and why?

Posted 1 week ago #
  47. augiebd

augiebd

Login to Send PM

I need to know too! I mean my answer will have to be yes but I am curious about potential consequences.

Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   marc75, ashdigger, alsatmem, alaskanpiper, nhhiggy, ben88, snagstangl, 64alex, danimalia, upnorth1, cshubhra