PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmay

Lurker
Mar 29, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
So I need to get life insurance for myself and my wife. Trouble is we're young and in our 20s with crap jobs and its going to cost like $60 a month more if I'm a tobacco user versus no tobacco. Sounds like I have to be tobacco free for a year in order to qualify as non-tobacco, and according to my great insurance broker, if I was tobacco free for another 2 years after that, the insurance company can't touch me. In the mean time though, it looks like no pipe for up to 3 years :crying:
Hoping you guys have some good advice or any tips and tricks to try and get around this. Unfortunately there is no way that I or my wife can justify that amount of extra money per month so I can continue smoking. Ugh. So frustrated and pissed, help.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
My advice would be to shop around, talk with different agents. We just did term life insurance through Farm Bureau. There wasn't a test the use of tobacco products if I remember. It was all based on my word.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I’d also do some research regarding testing for tobacco use.
I have very good friend of mine who normally smokes 2 or more cigars a day just went to work for a well known hospital in our area that happens to have a no tobacco use policy for its employees. He stopped smoking and stayed out of the B&M for one week prior to being tested and passed without a problem.
Just a thought…

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Tim, many doctors, and possibly insurance companies, don't consider moderate pipe smoking to be a risk factor. I'd look around more on my own if I were you.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Check with the holder of your auto insurance policy. Most of the major insurers out there do multible policies and will offer a discount to current holders. I use State Farm for all my policies and when I had my Bike the insurance was virtualy free. SO check with your current policy holder and see what they have to offer and what discounts may apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.