PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodaknight

Lurker
Sep 3, 2013
Ello folks! I am looking into getting a new pipe. What I am asking for is help in figuring out what to search for. I would like a heavier pipe with a larger bowl in diameter. I have fairly large hands and I would like something that fits my whole paw. Most pipes I have make me feel as if I should be holding my pinky out as I sip at it. I bought one called Chochla ... Specifications, material: pear wood, dimensions (length x height):150 x 40 mm. I liked the fit in my hand (would not have minded a bit larger, but also more heavy). Anyways I have looked up keywords 'pear' 'apple' 'egg' 'blowfish' anything that sounded that it could have been a larger bowl. Any ideas what a keyword or an actual style of pipe to look up is called please? thanks all! Blessings n Stuff.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Sounds like you found a Mr. Brog. Word of warning: Mr. Brogs tend to have smaller diameter bowls due to the walls needing to be a bit thicker because pear wood is not as heat resistant as briar. However, they do have a few pipes that feature fairly deep bowls. And then they have the baby arm pipe - Giant Tobacco Pipe - Model Lumberjack - 3" Deep Bowl.
Mr. Brog also offers THIS
Also, this pipe chart can help give you an idea of the types of pipe you would enjoy - Pipe Shape Chart

jodaknight

Lurker
Sep 3, 2013
Yes Oklansas you are 100% correct. The one I liked is a Mr. Brog. Those you have shown are great but still seem the same size(ish) of the pipes I feel small in my hand, only taller. I should have specified when I meant size. I am referring to the overall diameter of the bowl. Not so much of the height.
I will look at the chart you provided for ideas. Thank you so much for your time and response. :)

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Reading your initial post I imidiatley thought of the lumberjack. I saw a review of it and it is totally OldCajun worthy. He will most likely chime is soon as he is our "huge pipe" lover here to my knowledge. But now it seems like if there was a shape you were looking for, a large diameter bowl... Would be some king of pot shaped pipe. They tend to be large diameter pipes as far as I know. They smoke shag/rough/ long cut tobaccos best IMO. At least it is my assessment, I only have one and it doesn't smoke that well for me so I avoid it anyways. Many pipe makers make a pot shaped style. I would look at bulldogs as well, best way to see if it's the pipe for you is by looking at the dimensions of the pipe. If you can measure what you have and then base it off that meaning : "I would like it to be fatter than x width" and go from there. I hope I helped more than I confused.

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
Practically any style of pipe can be made larger or smaller. It's just a matter of scaling the bowl and stem up or down. Also, while the size of the tobacco chamber does often give you some idea of the size of the bowl, that's not always true. A smaller pipe with thinner walls could have a larger chamber than a larger pipe with thicker walls. So pay attention to the pipe's specs before you buy.
A search term that might help you out is "magnum." I've seen this word used to describe larger-than-usual pipes.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
A good many if not most online pipe sites give the demisions of their pipes as well as the weight of the pipe in grams.It's a way to compare sizes before you buy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Savenelli makes some non-filter pipes in extra large. One of their series seems to be entirely

black sandblasted extra large pipes. As has been mentioned, many brands feature extra large

pipes, and I'd shop for those and see what-all is available. If you can find an appropriate extra

large pipe that doesn't weigh a ton, that may be better for your teeth if you clench at all (hold

the pipe in your teeth while you walk or work with your hands). Some of the good extra large

pipes are briars, and I wouldn't rule those out.

Status
Not open for further replies.