HELP!! fathers day gift...savenelli pipe??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Depends on his personal preference. Does he like them straight or bent? Smooth or rusticated? Large or small? We tend to be very particular. A gift card from smokingpipes.com may be the way to go.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I agree with the gift card. Best to let him pick out his preference with shape/style and finish as it can be somewhat of a very personal thing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I third the motion. Pipe smokers all have very specific tastes, and he may have specific pipes he doesn't have that he'd like. Also, it will give him the option of putting more toward the pipe if he wants something especially up-market; it would still be your gift.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I'm usually not a fan of gift cards. They don't seem to convey a lot of thought but in this case preference and experience will be better served by letting him pick his own. I agree with the others.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Look at the pipes on his pipe rack. Findout the brand name of the most caked pipe in the batch. That would be his favorite pipe, and I'm sure he would love another one.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Well done booker!! :rofl:
A gift card/certificate is a good way to go for sure. Another way, though not a complete surprise, is to go online with him and have him point out several that he likes and then later purchase one of the pipes he liked. That way he still gets a pipe he likes, you still have the pleasure of getting him a pipe he truly wants and it's still a surprise to him. That is how my wife and daughters do it for me and I'm tickled pink every time. :puffy:

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Plus if you buy him a card, he might apply it towards a Sav that he wants & doesn't have. Great idea.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I'd rather get a gift card than someone choosing a pipe unless they already knew a specific pipe I wanted. It may seem counterintuitive but giving a gift card in this case is actually being more thoughtful. That's how I'd see it if it happened to me.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Get a $100 gift card to give him more options. Not encouraging you to support my workplace, but $25 doesn't buy a new Sav ( or any halfway decent briar.....let the flames begin!!! ) and $50 is rather limiting, especially if you want him to have some baccy to go with the pipe.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Just speaking for myself here, but I'd rather get a pipe from my son that he thought I'd like even if it wasn't something I'd get for myself. Every time I'd pick it up I'd think of my son. It would be unique.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I'm with you tuold, I'd love to get a pipe or anything for that matter from my kids or grandkids. But for some reason, year after year I never do. I've sent them numerous gifts, etc. over the years, but I never get anything, but once in a while a card. I have one step daughter that remembers me every year, for birthdays, holidays, and fathers day. But WTF is wrong with my own kids? Sheesh, I guess I'll just buy myself some tobacco this year. At least my wife supports me with our hobby. Thankful for small things. :)
Oops, sorry, but yes a gift card would be nice, but then again, take a look at his pipes and make an educated guess at what he likes, and get him something Savinelli, if it fits the bill. It shows you care enough to give some thought to what he likes. Gifts from family mean something to most people.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
While it is true that many pipe smokers are particular about their pipes, I'd recommend a pipe over a gift card. Stay with a classic shape and, depending on what he mostly smokes, decide on straight or bent and then just look around and see what grabs you in your budget. (And do stay in budget -- it would irk me if I thought my kids spent too much on me.) My favorite pipe, after 35 years, is one that my wife (at the time, my girlfriend) gave to me as a Christmas gift. He'll adore it (and you), I'm sure.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Orely, "Sharper than a serpents tooth is it to have an ungrateful child" =) Alas, I haven't received a present from either of my boys since they were in grade school. We aren't much on birthdays and Christmas here.

navypipe23

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2015
You can't go wrong either way. It would be nice for him to think of you every time he used a certain pipe though.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As a Dad with a grateful son, I'd recommend you present him with a Savinelli that's close in size and style to what he smokes the most. Gift card is great, too, but if it were me, I'd love the actual McCoy. (As in "real McCoy"!)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Orley, that's terrible! I'd point blank ask your progeny for a specific item, nothing too expensive, or a gift card from an online pipe retailer, to put toward something you want. "I know you can't give me a gift every holiday, but if you'd like to get me something, here's what I'd like." I'm afraid a lot of non-gifters are just so self-absorbed, they don't think about the possibility of giving a gift. Then, if they choose not to gift you, I'd make your gifting much more infrequent. If they wonder why, and can't figure that out, there may be an educability issue. (That means they can't learn nothin'.)

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
Just speaking for myself here, but I'd rather get a pipe from my son that he thought I'd like even if it wasn't something I'd get for myself. Every time I'd pick it up I'd think of my son. It would be unique.
I agree. You can look at the shapes before you buy, and having some idea of the shapes that you've seen him smoke, I am of the opinion that you could do no wrong by picking out the pipe yourself.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.