PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Hello friends! Happy weekend.
I received a Dunhill Russet today I purchased on eBay. The pictures weren't very good, or the description, but it looked like a little cleaning would bring it back to life. Well, after examining it, I realized that while the stem was indeed a true Dunhill, it was not the proper stem for this pipe. It turns out from communicating with the seller that it came from a collection, and all the other Dunhills from the collection had all previously sold, so there's no chance to exchange the stem for its proper one. He said he doesn't do returns or discounts, but is willing to send me a free pipe from what's left (a few cheap makes in bad shape).
I don't want to file with eBay that the item wasn't as described, but would that even be an option given the situation? The stem is not at all flush with the shank, either top or bottom, so it very surely isn't the appropriate stem.
Do I chalk this up as a hard lesson learned, or do you guys have any other ideas? What would you do?
Thanks in advance for the advice!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I don't care what he says....file a complaint with eBay....he'll magically take the return.
You bought a "Dunhill"...don't accept anything else.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I considered the buffing possibility, but besides the crust, the pipe seems to be almost new. The stamping is clear and there are no amateur filing marks or any evidence of "work" done.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
It's legitimate. It says Dunhill Russet, 3102, Made in England 31.
Oh! I ought to clarify that the discrepancy wasn't whether or not the bowl was a Dunhill. It is for sure. The issue was, this stem is not flush at all with the shank, so much so that it appears like it could be from another Dunhill with a slimmer shank. Sorry for not being clear on that originally.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yeah, that far off, it's not the correct stem for the shank. I wonder if the seller pulled some of the stems off for reasons unknown and mixed them up. I've seen that any number of times on eBay. Definitely file a claim, and let the seller know that you're doing it. That may take the wind out of his sails.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
File it.
Think about it -- any halfway decent seller would just apologize and offer the refund. That's what I'd do and that's probably what you would do.
Even if no deception was intended, he sold you a Dunhill Russet stummel with a random Dunhill stem sticking in it, but it's advertised as a "Dunhill 'Russet' smoking pipe." If you bought a Corvette, say, it would have a Corvette engine in it, not one from a Chevy Cruze.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
eBay will straighten it out. If the product was not as advertised, you will get satisfaction no matter what the seller's policy is.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
You never mentioned cost. If you got it at a bargin,keep it . Just MHO.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
If a true bargain, what would be the cost to find the appropriately fitting stem? If the cost would still leave this purchase in the bargain range, keep it and lesson learned. Otherwise, file away!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
First, I would caution you not to do business with an eBay seller who doesn't offer refunds with no questions asked. That is a red flag right there.
But, If I were in your shoes then I would absolutely file an "Item not as described" complaint with eBay and include those photos with your complaint. You also may want to send eBay those emails where the seller even admitted it might not be the original stem. eBay will then make the decision and they usually decide with the buyer unless the seller has overwhelming evidence that the buyer's info is incorrect. Because eBay will not really know how to judge whether the stem is original or not, they will probably side with you.
It is unfortunate, but a lot of sellers say they will not offer returns because they hope the buyers just won't take the time or the hassle to file a claim against them. If a buyer wins the claim then they have the right to leave the seller negative feedback. Some sellers don't care about getting negative feedback but others sure do as a lot of negative feedbacks keep buyers away. I know that I run quickly the other way when I see what looks like a nice pipe but then see that the seller has several negatives and low marks in other categories. You actually not only help yourself but other eBay buyers by filing a complaint against unscrupulous sellers. So yes, IMO, filing a complaint would be the right thing to do.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks a lot guys, for all your valuable advice.
The price was $125, which, for this pipe is an okay deal vs. a new one, but there are plenty of nice, complete Dunhills to be won at that price that I would much rather have. And a new stem from Walker Briar Repair would be $40, so that means total for the pipe would be $165, which, like I said, is good for the pipe, if I wouldn't rather have something else.
I proposed he might take $40 dollars off to cover the cost of a proper flush stem, and that is when he told me he doesn't do discounts or returns because he uses his sales to "pay the bills." You'd think someone who relies on their sales would act with a little more carefulness regarding their reputation.
I am sure this was unintentional on their part, but I really don't understand the resistance to let me have my money back and they can have their item back. I feel bad being such a hassle to them but it isn't my fault the pipe has issues haha.
I'll write them and tell them that unless we can work something out, I'll have to file with eBay. I'd like to give them one more chance before I have to get into official problem-control.
Thanks again for the opinions and advice. Very very appreciated!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Keep a record of your communications with the seller in case he continues to refuse to unwind the transaction.
It's an unfortunate reality that some deals go bad through no intent, and the seller may be sincere, though wrongfully determined.
But another problem on eBay is buyers who attempt petty theft by demanding partial refunds on perfectly good merchandise with trumped up complaints and threats of filing. Clearly this isn't the case here, but sellers are aware of the practice and it's not unnatural to get the "partial refund" demand and then figure that the buyer is attempting a scam. The cleanest way to handle an unhappy eBay deal is a complete undoing of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.