Help! Does This Look Like What I Think it Is?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
ok so i was cleaning my pipe after a nice bowl of caramel apple pie and i noticed a blemish in the varnish that looks kinda like it might be a beginning to a pipe burnout. please tell me im wrong if not then what can i do to prevent this from happening.
537449_10151392900472889_236609476_n.jpg

58686_10151392901157889_65941332_n.jpg

481298_10151392901222889_594413395_n.jpg

this shot is when i got it from the estate buy of ebay

543827_10151390133822889_1385558239_n.jpg

what do you guys think?

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
The bowl gets a little hot yes but I was just thinking it was the aromatics burning hot. I'm posting pics of the inside now but I looked and the inside look fine so I'm hoping this is just the varnish messing up.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks for the pics. I am thinking that is a finish issue also. Some light sanding with wet 6000 or 8000 grit micro-mesh may help that pipe to breathe a little bit better and smoke cooler IMHO.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I am thinking that is what it is also. Some light sanding with some wet 6000 or 8000 grit micro-mesh may help that pipe to breathe a little bit better and smoke cooler IMHO
sorry can you elaborate on this do you mean i sand the finish or the inside of the bowl? sorry im a novice piper clearly. i was thinking i would do the salt and alcohol soak thing and see whats really in the bowl as well.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
ok if it seems to be just a finish issue then it should be ok i was just worried about a burn out didnt want that.
@chris its a very faint line that cuts across the grain on the outside of the bowl and its slightly darker than the rest of the finish. it too me is one of two things the finish has worn out everywhere except that spot or its the beginning of a burnout.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I don't see it either but I'm on an old desktop computer using XP. Work computer sucks. I'm just lucky to be able to outsmart the website blockers on it. Pix don't display in google chrome or IE.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I mean use Micro-mesh which is a brand of fine grain sandpaper. It can be found at woodworking supply stores or eBay. I got 12 grits for about $16 on ebay about 6 months ago and still using it in my pipe maintenance. I don't see my old deal currently but to give you an idea, this it what it is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Revell-Micro-Mesh-Sheet-3x4-Variety-Pack-Asst-6-RMXR7034-NIB-/390396042636?pt=Sanders_Sandblasters&hash=item5ae56add8c
It is so fine it wont take the red finish off but just the varnish. Then you can leave it dull or put some wax on it to make it a nice gloss/semigloss finish. I like this stuff for smooth pipes. Don't use it on a rusticated pipe. They make another softer wax for that.
http://pipesandcigars.com/pawax1jarpiw.html#.UOZUyW_AeSo

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
The line your talking about looks like it was there when you received it. Boy, I have to tell you, if what you're seeing there with the finish and cake are concerning I may have to just toss out my pipes and be done with it. I am unable to see much there that would concern me and I begin to fear that the tell tale signs of pipe burnout are so subtle that most of my pipes are on the verge of igniting in my hand with no warning...and I certainly don't want that!!!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I think it looks OK. The varnish will cause the pipe to burn hotter. I didn't see any spider-webbing or cracking inside the bowl. I agree with rothnh though, gently ream out the bowl, that will be the best indicator as you will be able to see if its burning out.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Now that I can see it, it looks like the finish to me. Not much to worry about. Nothing inside the bowl looks like pix I've seen of a burnout starting, either. I'd just smoke slow and carry on.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
From what is have gathered / know about pipe finishes:
Most pipe makers use an alcohol based dye, like a shoe dye to bring out the grain and then buff out with carnuba wax, this allows the pipe to breath and stay cool.
A varnish dries to a hard finish and may hold the heat of the bowl. Varnish finish over a dyed bowl may also conceal a pit or fill.
You might try the micro pads to remove the varnish and then buff with carnuba wax but be aware that you may end up with a spotty, mis-colored bowl.
I have several pipes with varnish coat that do smoke a lil warm but with a pipe tobacco that is natural, no casings / additives for aromatics, they are tolerable.
There are a lot of things to discover in this hobby, enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.