PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Just refurbished this Pete(?) I got as part of an estate lot. It's a beautiful thick chambered pot that smokes like a dream. It has the P-Lip, and my guess is 60s/70s but the nomenclature seems off from what I can find online. Have included a link to photos, and a description if the link fails.
On one side of the shank we have Made in Ireland printed in circular fashion and the number 207. On the other side. K&P Dublin is stamped. On the silver band, it has printed Sterling Silver and three hallmarks that read K & P. Any help would be much appreciated.
http://imgur.com/a/lZqoO

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
It's probably 1945-1947 pre-republic. According to this site.
Scanned the site, Cap. Thanks. It's the fact that "Peterson" doesn't appear on the pipe that has me somewhat stumped, just K&P. Would be awesome if the pipe was 1945-47 vintage.

Aug 1, 2012
Since K&P stands for Kapp and Peterson and their stamps were not terribly consistent, I would stand by my earlier assessment.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Thanks rothnh (AKA Harris?). Will search for that site. I'm learning it can be challenging to date pipes or even for lower end pipes to identify the maker. The same lot that had the Pete I'm asking about here had a nice little black billiard with "Birmingham Sand Blasted" and "Real Briar" on the underside of the stem. It has a removable stinger, so I'm assuming it's a lower end pipe. But it smokes quite nicely. Anyway, tried doing a search online for more info and didn't get a tickle.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Strange. Found the site at the link below. Looked at lots of hallmarks and still can't quite pin this one down. It is missing the typical Hibernia and harp hallmarks. The three hallmarks each bare just one letter/symbol K & P. According to the place of manufacture mark, Made in Ireland printed in a circle, we're 1945-47. Anyway, I'll keep digging. I like a mystery.
http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/infos/hallmark-dublin.html

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Just found this link and it would seem I can confirm I have a pre-republic Peterson in my rotation. Hunting estate lots is fun. Thanks for the input guys. :lol:
thepetersoncollector.blogspot.ca/2010/09/peterson-pre-republic-pipes.html?m=1

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a pre-Republic Peterson, and I think made before 1949. From the Peter pade on Pipedia:

If the stamp reads "MADE IN IRELAND" in a circle, the pipe was made between 1939 and 1948.
I can't make out the hallmark dates, but that should tell the exact year. Some Peterson "Sterling" pipes had faux hallmarks (usually K&P) but while I can't make out the exact detail, yours don't look like faux marks.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
They are the faux marks, Al. K&P. Does that mean the band isn't sterling silver as advertised? More silver plate? Anyway, think the country of manufacture mark still puts at pre republic. The link I noted in an earlier in the string to a collector's blog suggests he has pre republic Petes in his collection with the K&P "hallmarks".

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Definitely pre-Republic. No hallmark dates means it was made for the US, probably imported thru Rogers into the Iwan Ries store in Chicago. Sterling for sure, no mark means nickel.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Thanks Al. Picked up the pipe from an old lumberman in Northern Ontario - north shore of Lake Superior - so spitting distance to the U.S Midwest.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Glad to help, I learned most of this on a Rockey Donegal 999 I acquired with similar features (although it was a Republic pipe from the 60's)

Status
Not open for further replies.