Help! (With Pictures) Cracked Open Mortise on My Pipe!!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Estate Pipes
24 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
New Accessories
New Cigars
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckapotamus

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
I have a pipe and the mortise is split open! I do not know if it is meerschaum or synthetic. I am a newbie in pipe smoking so I am sorry about the question. The Bakelite stem screws into the mortise and I think I screwed it in too tight. I feel so bad about it. It is one of my first pipes that I bought. It's an estate pipe.
I would also like to know what kind of material it is made from if anyone has an idea.
I would like to send it to a pipe repair shop but, there isn't any such a place in my country (Philippines).
Eidt: Corrected capitalization in title, L.

chuckapotamus

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
525007_10152553164230386_1065170754_n.jpg

563298_10152553164245386_1162316354_n.jpg

Here are some images of the broken pipe. :(

sebastian

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2013
Im no expert, but it looks to be clay (?). I think I would try to super glue it if it were mine. Just be careful not to get any glue in the threads, inside the mortise.

chuckapotamus

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
Thank you everyon for the speedy feedback. :D i would like to try superglue however i thought it wouldn't be safe and might be toxic. It seems though you guys have tried it before so i might give it a try. Thanks timely and sebastian. :D
Michaelphillips, i appreciate the link. I will send this pipe to the site as my second option if i cannot repair it myself. Thank you also!
I apologize if my English grammar might be somewhat incorrect.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Your grammar is better than mine. Welcome to the forum - there's no such thing as an unwelcome question, and these guys can solve any problem. Don't be a stranger.

chuckapotamus

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
Your grammar is better than mine. Welcome to the forum - there's no such thing as an unwelcome question, and these guys can solve any problem. Don't be a stranger.
I'm glad to know to know that I can feel comfortable asking questions. :)

Thank you, cynyr! Thanks also for the compliment. :)

chuckapotamus

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
I finally had the time to glue it together and it did the trick. All I have to do now is just maybe put a band to cover the cracks.
Thank you EVERYONE! You are amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.