PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

froginameer

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Just ordered an antique meerschaum pipe and it came in today and its broken. The threds are still left on the amber but there is a silver collar on the shank and everything in the collar is broken into pieces. I was wondering if anyone has delt with this sort of restoration and can give me a little help on how to make it look nice but still be sturdy and functional. I have a few pictures but cannot figure out how to post them.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Sounds like the bone-screw junction between the stem and the shank has shattered. A lot of them have fused together to either the shank or stem over time and require the gentlest touch.

If you can get another bone screw, or a set of Delrin push fittings, you can carefully dig the old bone screw out and replace.

Sadly, if the meerschaum mortise is damaged, the pipe will make a nice display unless you do some MAJOR work to it.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I will look to see if I have one laying around. Pipemakersemporium sells them by the dozen only I think. I'll let you know tomorrow. Shoot me a PM to remind me. Now, a new bone screw will only work if the threads in the mortise and the stem are not damaged.

froginameer

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Yeah thats the issue is that that silver collar is split until it hits the meerschaum. So im almost thinking of tring to find another collar type piece of metal and trying that route

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
If there's any damage to the meerschaum, then it's a wall hanger. You could use another band (not sure where to get those or a suitable substitute) as long as it was decorative only and not a repair of some sort.

Mar 25, 2018
Ms
Can i ask a question here please? Do these shank end 'repair bands' have to be precisely machined on? Doesn't it only serve to keep your cracks closed? If i found or made my own band, could i just glue it to the shank and call it a day? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.