PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

panagiotis

Lurker
Sep 17, 2014
Hey guys you may remembered me xD. Anyways I finally got a pipe! I went to a local toabacco store and asked for a pipe for newbs and he recommended me me this:
2uh272t.jpg
It's a pipex d10.
Anyways. I tried it for 1st time today with a scandinavik white tobacco(man that smells good). And those are my problems...
1 It doesn't light up!!! I tried with matches but the matches just went out when I touched them with the tobacco...
2. I m a total noob at smoking in general so when I felt warmth in my mouth I thought it was the flame from the matches and not smoke lol...
3. I don't know if I packed the tobacco ok although I ve seen many vids on how to do it :/

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
You don't want to let the match touch the tobacco, hold it about 1/2" or so above and move it in a circle over the tobacco as you draw the flame gently into the pipe. Be sure that you haven't packed it too tightly, it should draw freely before you light it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Here's video that my help. I've been using this technique for years and it works very well. Good luck.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=james+fox+video+on+packing+a+pipe&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=507238384667A3D04C64507238384667A3D04C64

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Dry the tobacco a little. Let is air dry for 20-30mins before smoking.
Remember the 1st light is a false light. Light tamp then light again.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
+1 to james80...when I started, remembering to dry the tobacco a little helped tremendously.
Mike

panagiotis

Lurker
Sep 17, 2014
Ok...So now that I just got my pipe how often should I clean it? And also when I try to light it should I draw in large amounts of smoke or something? Also how many times a day/week is ideal for smoking a pipe?

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Get a bic lighter. Much easier. There's no way you're gonna suck the flame into your mouth with either matches or any kind of lighter.

brokenkrayon

Might Stick Around
Jul 17, 2014
Ok...So now that I just got my pipe how often should I clean it? And also when I try to light it should I draw in large amounts of smoke or something? Also how many times a day/week is ideal for smoking a pipe?
You should run a pipe cleaner through after every bowl.
It doesn't take a lot of intake too light. Think of sipping soda through a straw, not a milk shake.
Most pipes like to rest after a smoke, to make sure it dries out completely. Suggestions usually are 1 day for every bowl. This is the reason to have a pipe rotation. If you want to smoke 1 bowl a day then 2-3 pipes could get you by. The more you want to smoke the more pipes to have in your rotation.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
+1 for what kcvet67, and most other responses. kaboom you never want to use a bic lighter on your pipe it messes up the taste of the tobacco you either use matches or a butane lighter to light up a pipe.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
hittelusedpipes, love the quip about Othello. I think it describes pipe smoking in general, not only packing.

groovesmith75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2014
been smoking for awhile and this video is one of the best ive found for beginners, happy smokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D1quo_NURk

panagiotis

Lurker
Sep 17, 2014
I m getting better everyday with your advice guys. Today I managed to really enjoy pipe smoking! Thank you very much!!
Although the taste wasn't anything special the smell was awesome! I m so happy I began this and I convinced my friends to try it :D
Thanks a lot guys!!
EDIT: My smoking experience lasted 15-20 mins. Is that a the optimal smoking time or did I smoke it too fast?

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
kaboom you never want to use a bic lighter on your pipe it messes up the taste of the tobacco you either use matches or a butane lighter to light up a pipe.
A Bic Lighter is a butane lighter!!
I have used a Bic everyday for probably the last 4-5 months, and have zero issues with it effecting taste.
Some people say a Zippo lighter can affect the taste as well, that they can taste the remnants of the Zippo fuel, but I have never been able too.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
My smoking experience lasted 15-20 mins. Is that a the optimal smoking time or did I smoke it too fast?
Most likely you were smoking a little too fast, but it could also depend on the size of your pipe's bowl and also how you packed it. Did you have to relight a lot or were you puffing hard/fast to keep it lit? You want to sip slooooooowly. Long, deep, slow puffs. Remember, you're not trying to light a forge! Most pipes seem to provide 30-60 mins of smoke if you're taking your time. Some BIG pipes can go much longer! Slowing down will also improve tobacco flavor (the cooler the smoke, the better).
Glad you enjoyed yourself panagiotis!

panagiotis

Lurker
Sep 17, 2014
Macabra I ve checked people on youtube and I ve seen them having bigger pipes than mine :/
Also I did relight it once (cause I was playing LoL and needed some focus :P ). I try not to sip fast but I m afraid of my pipe going out fast cause that was one of my problem in the 1st place when I started the thread... :/
MchiganLover I also tried a normal bic lighter and I don't think it affected my taste.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.