PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipingnate

Lurker
Mar 26, 2015
So, having a bit of a runaround with myself at the moment. Ordered a few Middle Earth Tobacco tobaccos to my house (which Nat Clark is, to my pleasure, overnighting so I can puff for the first time on my birthday tomorrow), and a Missouri Meerschaum Bent Country Gentleman. With these tools (plus some matches and a tamper I made), I'm going to puff on some baccy! Now, if I do enjoy this hobby, I have selected the tobaccos I want, the struggle will be the pipes. I'm not sure if I should go briar, corn cob, or meerschaum. I love the look of cobs and of briars but not so much the meerschaums. What's what? What brands to avoid? I've only really been looking at Falcon, Stanwell, Peterson, Savinelli, and MM. I'm just basically overwhelmed and could use some help on choosing a pipe, or two, or more...

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Whoa... one step at a time! You're most definitely in the right direction by choosing a cob to start. There are no tobaccos to avoid, unless of course you are very prone to nicotine, but that will come with trying out various tobaccos. Simply try out what you have, read and search the forums here and you'll most definitely get there. Just don't rush it, pack it lightly and smoke slowwwly! As for pipes, I have my share of both briars and cobs and they both smoke great and there is no true definitive pipe for a great smoke. As said previously, go slow, one step at a time, don't rush it, and by no means get discouraged. It does indeed take time to smoke a pipe properly. Hang around, and do searches for answers. Oh, by the way... welcome to the forum! :wink:

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I've always heard it said to buy a pipe you like and will want to smoke. Cobs are a fine way to start. If you're interested in getting a briar, I'd spend as much as you can afford. Personally, I own many Savinelli's and I think they are fantastic!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I've always heard it said to buy a pipe you like and will want to smoke. Cobs are a fine way to start. If you're interested in getting a briar, I'd spend as much as you can afford. Personally, I own many Savinelli's and I think they are fantastic!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Welcome to the forum, Pipingnate
As Phil said, 'slow down there'
Pipe smoking is kind of an art as well as a hobby, and does take some time to master. There really are no tobaccos to avoid until you yourself find the ones that you will like and dislike. And when you find those, you will find your tastes evolving with time.
Although I've never been a cob fan myself, it is an excellent way to start off with the hobby because even if you damage a cob (possibly by accelerated puffing or burning the sides with a blowtorch or something), it won't matter as much as doing it to a briar pipe.
Check out some of the basic smoking tips offered on the left hand side of this page to help you along
But above all, enjoy the journey

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
It's easy to get bogged down trying to choose a pipe because there are so many to choose from. If you have a good pipe shop near you that's a bonus because you can look at the pipes and also hold them to see which ones appeal to you the most. If not buying online will be the way to go. Pipes are a very personal thing so pick one that appeals to you and catches your eye and fits your budget. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a pipe that smokes well. Many of my less exspensive pipes smoke just as good as my pricier ones.
Good luck and enjoy.

pipingnate

Lurker
Mar 26, 2015
Thanks for everyone's feedback! I agree with all of you I should take a deep breath and be a little more patient. Just excited and never thought there would be this many nuances to pipe smoking! I have a cart on pipesandcigars with about $150 worth of tobaccos in it and another $100 in cobs and one Savinelli Churchwarden...that should cover me for a while. Again, patience and wait until after my first bowl tomorrow!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Are you coming into pipe smoking from the world of cigars or cigarettes? If so, it may influence the type of advice you receive here in the forums. And yes, BTW, welcome to this little community where so many folks have good advice and are willing to help.

pipingnate

Lurker
Mar 26, 2015
Cortez, to answer your question I've smoked a single pack of cigarettes because I hate wasting money. Natural American Spirits. I believe the black pack. One cigar and that would be a Swisher Sweet. Neither of those experiences do I wish to repeat. The cigarettes were better than the cigar I must say but they were still pretty bad.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
In today's pipe world it can be a little overwhelming, so much to choose from, so little time. My suggestion, take your time. Sample different types of tobacco. Then isolate the blends within that (or those) group(s) you like best. Then do the same with pipes. You can spend a lot of money unwisely if you don't take your time. Master each step, one at a time.

Aug 14, 2012
You can get an acceptable smoke from any of the three types of pipes you mention. I would rate them as: briar #1, Meerschaum #2, cob #3. But only if it is a really good briar. If cost is a factor cobs would be #1, meers#2. You can get a better smoke dollar for dollar with a Meer, than a briar, but if you can afford a first rate briar, it is better.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If you fall in love with briar pipes, the sky is the limit to their perceived beauty, as well as their cost. I could tell you not to do it, but I too am in love with briar pipes. But recently I've been thinking what it would take to have a collection that I could love. I know it will make you gag but I'm thinking about 40K. Think of it, someone like Rad Davis who doesn't beautiful work often sells his pipes for ~$700; maybe this is high, so let's say $600; X 30 = $18,000. But I know I'd want more for sizes large and small, and I'd want some higher-end pipes, as well,
$40K would do it. Do I want to spend $40K on pipes? Of course not. If I had that amount of disposable income, would I spend it accordingly. You betcha!
Supposing you do not, either, the pipes that you are already looking at will serve, and you can get them as estates for half the price of new. Then if you throttle back to cobs, you can further cut the cost by 80%. Cobs are indeed humble, but they smoke great and are cheap.
I went a bit crazy and spent about $1,500.00 from 12/14-2/15. I shopped for value with a ceiling of $300.00. I got a lovely Ferndown REO 3X new,

a Betram Safferling freehand with fantastic grain from Pipestud, used, a Kevin Arthur billiard, used an Ashton Brandy Sandblast. I feel I did well but am ambivalent to the extent that that money probably would have been better spent on Condor. Even more, I could have gotten 10 cobs whose only real detraction is size.
So if I wanted to smoke more I could reload. (Why can't I stop thinking about that?)

Status
Not open for further replies.