PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus

Lurker
Jan 8, 2013
Just joined and have a question:
For years I smoked Granger and switched, a year or so ago, to Mac Baren Mixture, Scottish Blend, which I've been buying online in five pound bags. My supplier is out, and I need to order.
What other Mac Baren blend might I find enjoyable given my preferences noted above? I'd like to find something I can again buy in bulk.
Thanks . .

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Welcome to the forums

Its not a mcB but Park-Lanes Connoisseur Flake is a copy of Scottish Ribbon, is available in bulk, and is a good smoke

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
marcus:
There are a number of great retailers who advertise here. My personal favorite is SmokingPipes.com. At the risk of overlooking some favorites, others swear by Cupojoes.com and pipesandcigars.com.
It looks like SmokingPipes.com has your MacBaren in stock.
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My three go to on line sources are pipesandcigars.com smokingpipes.com and 4noggins.com. I would never recommend cup of joes, the one time I ordered it was a nightmare and their prices on pipe tobacco are not very good. They also charge 11.99 for shipping where the others it is free over 100.00. Their shipping charge alone is a rip off because it only costs them about 6.50 to ship something and they are making a profit off their shipping charge.

marcus

Lurker
Jan 8, 2013
Thanks to you all. I live on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula and while not the bush, we're not metropolitan by a long shot . . appreciate all the information. Have pretty much dealt with JR Cigars for the past several years, so there's a lot out there that's new to me.
Thanks again . .

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
marcus:
So, do you even have brick-and-mortar stores there. . . or are they all ice-and-snow? :)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
cigmaster:
Um, Alaska is in the continental U.S. It's not in the contiguous U.S., but it's still in North America.
Bob

marcus

Lurker
Jan 8, 2013
Just checked 4noggins' site:
The largest quantity they offer in bulk is 1# for $30. I have been buying it in 5# bags for $108 plus $5 shipping.
Will check the other dealers later this afternoon. Thanks for the sources . . .

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
5 pounds at P&C is $117
Theyre gonna have to put me on salary if I say P&C very many more times :lol:

marcus

Lurker
Jan 8, 2013
Chris,
Just called P&C . . they have it in stock but charge another $22 for shipping.
I can hold off a bit longer in the hope that J&R will get it back in stock.
Thanks . . .

mbittner,
We have a Safeway, Blockbuster, Arby's, McDonalds and more within three miles from where I sit. Also, there have been two guys killed by brown bears in the last 10 years or so within 20 miles from where I sit . . lots more non-fatal maulings during that time as well.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I will say that I've found PipesandCigars.com to be a little iffy when it comes to knowing what's in stock. I've placed orders based on stock listed on their Web site, only to get a phone call within a few minutes telling me that the Web site was wrong. If a particular blend is really important to you, it might be worth an actual phone call first to verify that they actually have it. With SmokingPipes.com, there's always a note that comes up at check-out if you're ordering more of something than what they have on hand.
Bob

marcus

Lurker
Jan 8, 2013
Thanks, guys, I can hang on a bit longer, but if J&R remains out of stock, you have given me lots of other choices to fall back on.
Much appreciated . . .

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
welcome to the forums marcus! im just working through a tin of MacBaren's Scottish Blend and i gotta say its good stuff. from what i hear, all the sites mentioned are pretty good, the only one ive dealt with is smokingpipes.com cause they have cheap shipping to Canada. good luck on getting your baccay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
What other Mac Baren blend might I find enjoyable...?

If you like Mixture Scottish, I'm pretty sure you'll like these other Mac Baren bulk blends:

• Symphony

Virginia #1

Burley London Blend
I've never had Golden Extra, but that's because I can't stay away from the above-mentioned blends. :lol:

One of these days I'll try it; but it's hard to imagine a Burley blend superior to Burley London Blend.
ps. If you send a text message to Rich at the 4noggins website and tell him you want to order 5 lbs. at a time, I'm pretty sure he'll quote you the quantity pricing even though the website doesn't specifically offer it in that form. He is also renowned for including free samples in with your orders, so don't be embarrassed to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.