Hello? Where Are The Semois Blends? Anyone Still Excited?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes
New Cigars
New Accessories
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
After being excited for this tobacco, I haven't seen it in a blend. May be it's not a "blend friendly" component.

May be those blends are ageing and soon to be released. I just know I'm a buyer "when and if" they come out. Is anyone else still feel'n the love?
Plugugly

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I love Semois. Great all-day smoke, perfect for outdoors. I am curious to see what kinds of blends it could be used in. I would have no idea where to start, so look forward to whatever the wizards come up with :)
a small portion of a European country that no one knows much about
http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/ardennes.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbStQRcH1jo

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
I thought it was fine and well worth the original purpose.

Earthy - one note - burned fast but not hot....well worth the original purchase...but not a second :)

P

pipebuddy

Semois lovers like to blend them 50/50 with Latakia. I haven't tried it yet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My first sample of Semois from a Forums member was just about ecstatic for me. It has a pretty earthy barnyard aroma out of the package, but when lit, it's like a blend all in one leaf. I have only tried the Tobac-Manil Semois loose tobacco in the foil package with the green and white label. After I extolled the sample, an extremely generous Forums member sent me a nearly full package, a tin of Frog Morton Cellar, and a magnificent Ferndown bent billiard pipe. The pipe was so unexpected, I didn't even find it in the box until he asked about it. Surprised wasn't the half of it! But back to Semois, it has not lost its charm for me. It is subtle, complex, elegant and robust. It works best in a tall bowl (which the Ferndown happens to have). I haven't finished the package, but I would certainly buy another. I'm a big appreciator of burley, and this is a unique and exotic burley. I wouldn't waste it on mixing with other leaf; I enjoy it too much straight up, like a single malt scotch. I should add that the Forums member who sent me the nearly full package of Semois found it really repulsive. I'm not sure he actually threw up, but that was his stated reaction. So, it's not for everybody. If you're really strong on burley, you might give it a try.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I'm working through a brick of it now, I like it quite a bit. I don't know that it would be a good blender.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The problem is that Vincent Manil would have to approve any blend made with his Semois, and he's very protective of his product. I would love to give it a go, but I'm sure it would be a protracted project with samples being sent back and forth across the pond.
Russ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Russ, nothing to keep me from mixing equal parts of your Chestnut with Semois, despite my earlier statement about its single-leaf qualities. Hmmm.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've made a few Semois blends:
Sem/Per/Cav with a touch of Jamesons

Sem/Va/Lat

Sem/Va/Per
It basically blends like a Burley component with less nutty and more earth / barnyard ... like a young, light wrapper cigar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've smoked both the thick cut and medium Tabac-Manil now and enjoy them both. For me, it's like a blend in a single leaf, subtle complexity and a quiet richness. It might be fun to add it as a dash of flavoring to another leaf or blend now and then, but I am entirely satisfied with it as single leaf. I realize I'm in a small minority on this, but everyone has their favorites. That's a good thing, right?

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
I had some a couple years back. It was definitely interesting. A lot of guys liken it to smoking a cigar. I was just coming away from cigars at that point, so it didn't interest me much. Perhaps its time for a revisit.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
There was a terrific rumor, years before Semois was approved by the NYT, mind you, that Germain Brown Flake had a small bit of Semois in it. I haven't heard anything about that one for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.