PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doughboi

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Greetings everyone,
I've been searching and using the forums for quite some time. I've just purchased my first two pipes - a corn cob mm and a stanwell vario 84 filter pipe (which I will try with and without). First two tobaccos purchased were peterson summertime blend 2013 and a nice bit of nutty cut. I have been used to smoking cigarettes, cigars and even partial to a bit of vaping. So thought I would expand to the gentleman's club!
Anyway, hope to speak to you all soon!
Thanks.
--------------------------

Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Welcome, Dough, to the hobby. You'll find that there is a bit of difference in pipe smoking. First, we don't inhale. Really. We take our time and savor the tastes of our tobaccos. Next, you're selection of pipes and tobaccos means you're off to a good start. While I have a number of upper end briars, I have about a dozen cobs and enjoy them a great deal. Let me give you the same advice I give all new pipe smokers:

1. The tobacco should be much drier than you think it should be.

2. The tobacco should be packed much looser than you think it should be.

3. You should smoke much slower than you think you should. Just relax, sip and enjoy.
Follow these three simple rules and you'll be on your way to one of the most pleasurable hobbies on the planet.

Don't be afraid to ask if you've got questions; forum members have lots of experience to share, and will respond eagerly if asked. And many times if not asked.

And again, welcome! .

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forum, and pipe smoking. Eric gave you some good advice; I'll now pass out my standard advice:
Smoke the best tobacco in the best pipes you can afford. It will greatly increase your enjoyment. :puffy:

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Briar! Good luck on your journey through this wonderful and mysterious hobby! Also, take a look at rule 9 on the forum rules. Make sure to capitalize your topic name.

doughboi

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Hi all, thanks very much for the kind words and advice! I intend to thoroughly enjoy the hobby, and plan on kicking back after work each night with my pipe! @kendodan - sorry for the bad use of punctuation, I'm posting from my mobile and the site doesn't seem to be correctly optimised for mobile browsers :/ makes it difficult for me to see.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
No need to say sorry. Just a bit of a heads up. I usually view from my phone too and it is quite hard!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Welcome Doughboi,
I checked out your Stanwell on the internet and it's a very good looking pipe. And slthough I don't yet own a Stanwell, I'm sure it's a fine smoker. We tend to like pipe pictures, so it would be great if you could post us some photos of your pipes.
I've never smoked either of your Peterson brand tobaccos, but both are on my list of ones to try.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Welcome, in addition to the other advice I'd say be patient. Happy you are here!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome to the forums!
Welcome and thanks for posting.
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
Thanks.
Kevin - looking snappy in that profile pic! :puffy: btw - what pipe is that you're smoking?

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome Doughboi! Where you from? Well done on the Stanwell - I have a range of pipes but a lot of Stanwells, seemingly by self-selection rather than choice. They're quality smokers that don't break the bank and there's a huge selection. Especially if you go back a few years to the Danish- rather than Italian-made models.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.