PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

domingofetter

Lurker
Nov 11, 2014
New to pipe world and community too..I am looking to get cheap pipe to start with so can you guys guide me out? Hope for quick replies..

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Welcome aboard!

For a good cheap pipe, you can't beat a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe!

They're very forgiving, and actually provide a great smoke!

Also, get yourself some Carter Hall tobacco, a 3 in 1 pipe tool, some pipe cleaners, and some matches.

All of this can be had for less than $20, and you're ready to start your journey with the pipe!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi Domingo.
Welcome to pipe smoking, and to the forums. You'll get a lot of advice, I'm sure, but the first thing I'd encourage you to do is to read through the threads here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/forum/pipe-smoking-basics-amp-beginner-questions
For starters, I'd encourage you to buy some cob pipes, as you'll be able to practice loading tobacco, tamping, lighting and smoking without significant cash layout in pipes. Once you've decided that you want to stick with pipe smoking, then you can go out and start spending on pipes. When you get to the stage that you're buying briar, I'd encourage you to buy the best pipes you can afford, as a well built and engineered pipe will deliver a superior smoking experience to a poorly built pipe.
You might also consider ordering some tobacco sampler packs from some of the site sponsors to learn what types of tobacco you like best.
Good luck, have fun, and I look forward to hearing how you go.
-- Pat

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Welcome to the forums!
There are plenty of inexpensive pipes out there, but as with so many other things, you do get what you pay for. As a beginner, you're probably not going to notice the difference that higher quality briar, for example, brings to the piping experience. On the other hand, a poorly aligned or improperly sized draft hole will have a direct impact on your smoking, and there's a perception that the lower end pipes are more prone to engineering problems of this sort.
Fortunately, there are some lines that have a decent reputation even at the lower end - Dr. Grabows are beloved by many (and reviled by a few). Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes are some of the least expensive pipes out there, and they are probably some of the best introductory pipes available - in my own experience, they allow you to get away with some bad habits in packing and puffing that would cause a briar to perform poorly, but as you gain experience and expertise with the cobs, the smoking gets better and easier, and you can then transfer your new-found skills to a slightly more expensive briar.
You can also find some well-known and well-respected brands on sale from time to time - Savinelli and Stanwell have lines that can be discounted down to the $50 range sometimes, and there's always the estate pipe market if you know what you're looking for, or don't mind learning how to clean up a used pipe.
The thing about pipes is, an awful lot of the choices out there come down to subjective personal preference. Straight vs. Bent, for example - some folks have very definite opinions about straight pipes being easier to clean and maintain and even smoke as opposed to the hassle of getting a pipe cleaner through a full bent saddle stem, and they've got a point. On the other hand, I still love my first pipe, which was a relatively inexpensive factory pipe with a good bend to it and a thin saddle stem that sometimes requires a bit of fiddling to get a pipe cleaner through. I also had to ream out the draft hole to stop it from gurgling, and then learn how to smoke slower in order to really stop it from gurgling... But it's things like that which you'll pick up as you go along.
Check the site sponsors - red text links off to the left-hand side of the page. Most of them have good reputations, though I'll admit that I've only purchased from a couple of them so far. Check the forums if you have questions - a lot of them may already have been asked or answered, and even if you ask a Frequently Asked Question, you'll get answers (either by us linking to previous discussion threads, or by just answering the question yet again...).
Good luck, and happy piping!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Now, now, Newbie... no need to get in the poor person's grill about their (and your) definition of cheap.
Statements like this one...

Now if your serious and you want to get into a better pipe than some cheap basket quality chunk of wood with some crude holes bored/drilled into it and a clunky stem that may and usually does not have a decent draw to it
... just don't wash with me, given that millions of pipes have been made, sold and enjoyed that retailed for less than $10 (in any currency).
While many of us take immense pleasure in the refined qualities of well engineered, artistically designed, masterfully crafted pipes, it is important to remember that many, many, more pipe smokers are just as happy with a drug-store pipe purchase and a tub of Prince Albert or Carter Hall.
Those folks don't take pipe smoking any less seriously than I do; in fact, I'd argue that many of them are MUCH more serious about pipe smoking than I am...
$0.05 in the bucket.
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome to Forums. Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes are a good start, as several have pointed out.

If you would like an inexpensive but good quality briar to go with your cob or cobs, I think tobaccopipes.com

has excellent Chapuis-Comoy briar pipes in the $30 to $40 range, in a variety of shapes. I'd suggest a straight,

rather than bent, pipe for starters since they are easier to clean. You'll need pipe cleaners, a pipe tool or three (pipe

nails at a dollar each will do fine), and wooden matches. I wouldn't start out with a lighter. Those are my suggestions.

I second the Carter Hall and Prince Albert tobacco suggestions, though there are many options as you will soon learn.

Welcome aboard.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Check these out:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/77028/corn-in-the-usa-i-gift-set/#p-114041
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/77048/corn-in-the-usa-ii-gift-set/#p-140355
Set 1 needs: a pipe tool and lighter/matches.

Set 2 needs: a lighter/matches.

Regardless of which set you pick you'll still need pipe cleaners for sure. I would also recommend picking up a bottle of a high proof alcohol - Everclear seems to be highly recommended - to dip your pipe cleaners in and keep your pipe clean.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Hi. Welcome to the forums.

My advice: whatever you do, don't buy the cheap Chinese one.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Welcome aboard. I agree with the Missouri Cobs. If your looking at briars as well I would recommend some factory seconds. If you have a local BM you can probably find a bunch. They are usually made by larger companies such as Savinelli, Peterson and the like. They will just be stamped "italy" or "czech" or wherever they come from. I have about 5 of these pipes that I picked up for around 30-40 bucks and they are some of my favorite and best smokers. But you cant go wrong with a couple cobs in your rotation. Good luck and enjoy!

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
Welcome to the forum, and the world of pipe smoking. I would agree that a Corn Cob pipe is a good starter pipe, or I would also suggest a good estate pipe. I would also suggest buying 2 so 1 can rest and you can use the other pipe. As for tobaccos start light I always tell new smokers to try McClelland Frog Morton Cellar, or 4noggin Butternut Barley. and as a wise man on this forum says all the time SLOW DOWN no matter how slow you are going go slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.