Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Hello from NC

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ibjones

Login to Send PM

Hello, I'm a newbie from NC.

I'm a cigar smoker but have 'dallied around" with pipes for many years. I recently started enjoying a pipe again. I have three that I've picked up over the years, a Missouri Meerschaum, A Savenelli small bowl briar, and a large bowl Mastro de Paja briar.

I look forward to reading thru all the info here and learning about pipes. I think I'm probably not doing it right and I have some questions I'll find the answers to.

I think from what I've read and understand I'm smoking my pipes to hot. I usually get a "toasted" or "burnt" feeling on my tongue or the roof of my mouth, which I guess is because the smoke is too hot.

I think I also don't know how to pack the bowl because I have to constantly relight my pipe every 2 or 3 minutes. From what I've read and think I understand, it's supposed to be loose near the bottom and tighter at the top but I just don't know how to achieve that.

I have a few bins of tobacco, OTC Prince Albert and Carter Hall and I prefer the Carter Hall to the PA. I also have some ziplock bags of some unknown blends I've purchased at tobacco shops over the years. Not because I know what I'm buying but because I like the smell of it in the jar.

Today I bought a little blend from the tobacco store that is called "Balkan Supreme" and I kind of like it. The guy said it was an English blend with a full body.

Having smoked cigars since the 90's I'm usually the one giving advice on blends and brands and sizes, but in the pipe field I'm the one needing the advice.

I guess I'm just a newbie who doesn't have a clue what he's doing when it comes to puffing on a pipe. My knowledge on how to smoke a pipe is limited to "put the tobacco in, light it on fire, and puff on it."

I just wish I could learn how to limit the "light it on fire" part to under 100 times per bowl. It gets tiresome and I'm buying butane by the quart. LOL

Thanks for allowing me to the group.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. bambam

bambam

Login to Send PM

Welcome what part of NC you in?
    As far as relights it comes with time

Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.
    (Robert Kennedy)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ibjones

Login to Send PM

Morehead City

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. bambam

bambam

Login to Send PM

Cool I'm in Cedar Point, I was starting to think I was the only Pipe Smoker on the Crystal Coast

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Check out, YouTube, there's plenty of videos on packing a pipe. Try every technique you view on YouTube. Eventually you'll discover your own technique.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try setting your tobacco out to dry a little bit before you load your pipe. Overly moist tobacco will be hard to keep lit, as well as create a lot of steam that will burn your mouth and tongue. Also after you load your pipe, check the draw. If it feels too tight it probably is. If it feels too loose (like an empty straw) it probably is. These will both make it hard to keep lit. It's better to pack loose check the draw, and then press the tobacco down just a bit until it feels right. Tea through a straw. Not a milkshake and not empty air.

Oh, and welcome!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

HAHA...you must be one of the first people that has ever NOT known how to do this when getting into this hobby....

No sir, you're right were you belong. People start into this for varied reasons, but I think I've heard that story the most. "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke." You'll probably hear that many times on the forum, almost as much as "slow down".

Hang out here, and you'll be an old hat at this soon. Welcome, and enjoy the journey.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum ibjones.

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At first I thought maybe you would be someone I would run into in one of the Mountain cities I am always rambling around in, but you are on the beach. Very beautiful area. I almost moved my store to the OBX, but I had a friend in real-estate there who demanded that, that was not a smart idea. And for once, stubborn me listened. Welcome aboard. Shake the sand out of you pipe and join us in our shared passions for this hobby, pasttime, addiction, or whatever means of association you wish to refer to it.
    The more the merrier.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forums.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard!

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, welcome! The single most important advice I can give is dry the tobacco down a bunch before loading. When it's dry enough, packing "technique" isn't necessary, nor a lot of relights, nor much tongue burn. Enjoy!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to Forums. I'm over in the center of the Old North State in Raleigh. You might want to check out the TAPS pipe show at the Fairgrounds in Raleigh in April (April 7). I spent many sunny weekends and weeks at Morehead City/Atlantic Beach where my late wife's family had/have a summer cottage a few rows back from the shore. Love the seafood; the Sanitary Fish Market was a favorite spot, a tourist place but also a good moderate priced seafood restaurant for the locals too, at that time. I haven't been there for years, hope they still do good Bogue Sound clam chowder. I think you'll find Forums a great place for information, answers, opinion and entertainment. People stay on the pipe subject and otherwise keep it neutral, which make this an oasis online.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

mithrandir

Login to Send PM

Welcome from the other end of the State. I live in Rutherfordton. Pronounced "Rulfton".

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forums! I am sure you will find all the information you could ever ask for, all right here. Everyone here loves to share their wisdom and experience with the pipe smoking hobby. As mentioned above, you will need to dry some tobaccos out before smoking to help reduce relights. Once you get the bowl going try to do more little puffs instead of big long hard puffs. The last quick piece of advice...get some Ball canning jars. The tobacco will quickly dry out in the baggies. Even if you just put the baggies in the jars, they will be kept nice and moist. Good luck and again, welcome.

Nate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. joeman

joeman

Login to Send PM

Welcome, LB. You do realize you've got a wonderful little pipe show coming up in your fine state in a month?

JoeMan
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   unkleyoda, bluegrassbrian, ben88, newportpipe, danimalia, agnosticpipe, docrameous, cowboythunder, jiminks