PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

h3rodotus

Lurker
Jun 7, 2019
Hey there, been enjoying all of the knowledge from all of you chaps. Hope everyone is having a good day and is getting to enjoy a bit of the sweet Virginia leaf. Here are a few of my pipes from my Sasieni collection :)
Loc8dfl.jpgj

ITAlRda.jpg

QjvvvLw.jpg

qnQT4yK.jpg

h3rodotus

Lurker
Jun 7, 2019
Good morning, God bless all in this post.
Warren, that is a great lens and a fine hat my friend. Is it the 200-400? Do you shoot wildlife? Would love to see some images, I'm a photographer as well :)
With all due respect to other towns that have copied our name, there is only one Hollywood, but we do appreciate imitation as being the best form of flattery. Why anyone would want to impersonate us is beyond my comprehension. I grew up in the deep south of California, out in the bad lands where it was 30 minutes on a 3 wheeler to the nearest market. I had my first motorcycle at 4 years old, my first shotgun at 10 and we had horses, chickens and such. When I first came to Los Angeles it was right after the Northridge earthquake, to help rebuild, I worked in construction. Back then Hollywood was a sh^t hole, people think that the homelessness now is bad and it is, there's an encampment under a bridge close to my spot, but back then it wasn't just dirty it was more dangerous.
My Grandpappy was LAPD and got Serpico'd; our 2nd Sheriff back is in jail, one of my favorite unknown bands in the 90s used to have a website called, "Hollywood Hates You," the designer was the guy who did the special effects on the bullets in the movie "The Matrix." He said his team slept under their desks and got paid peanuts while their department head did little of the work and took all of the credit and money. There is an abandoned World War II bunker in the Canyon next to Laurel Canyon; it had its own water supply and was built like a small college campus. It was designed by Nazis who lived in Hollywood and believed that Hitler would win WWII and that they would need shelter from the resulting race war in the USA.
Jim Morrison's Dad started the Vietnam war. . .as one songwriter put it, "An Ocean's garbled vomit on the shore, Los Angeles I'm yours."
Some History on the other Hollywoods:
Hollywood, Florida
Joseph W. Young founded the city in 1925. He dreamed of building a motion picture colony on the East Coast of the United States and named the town after Hollywood, California.[7] Young bought up thousands of acres of land around 1920, and named his new town "Hollywood by the Sea" to distinguish it from his other real estate venture, "Hollywood in the Hills", in New York

h3rodotus

Lurker
Jun 7, 2019
Ah Sable! You're from Burbank!? That's awesome!
Sable is correct, most of the Studios are in Burbank. However Paramount, Raleigh and Sunset Towers are all still in Hollywood proper.
I just received a one dot army mount in the mail sir, the last I needed for the mini documentary I'm making. BTW, Sable I don't know if you noticed but a feller has an 8 dot listed as a 4 dot right now on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sasieni-Four-Dot-Perth-London-Made-Family-Era-Estate-Pipe/273967119569?hash=item3fc9b67cd1:g:xhgAAOSwNmddVLOm

h3rodotus

Lurker
Jun 7, 2019
I think I'll post this to clear up which Hollywood lol. Here is my most well-known photo. I live under the sign and my ma called me in the morning and said, "Did you change the Hollywood sign to say Hollyweed?"
Mine were the first images to wire so they ran on CNN etc and then went viral. Welcome to Hollywood my friends!
kxhKdXK.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There is an abandoned World War II bunker in the Canyon next to Laurel Canyon
Yeah, that's a really interesting and strange story that hardly anyone's ever heard of. I read about it years ago, but you're the first person I've ever seen bring it up anywhere.
Jim Morrison's Dad started the Vietnam war
The Admiral left quite a mark between producing both Jim and the Gulf of Tonkin.

h3rodotus

Lurker
Jun 7, 2019
Alaskan Pipe, one of my best friends is a camera man who does a lot of work up there, you might have seen one of the show's he did, it's called, "Deadliest Catch."
Lucky bastard gets to go on all of these bad ass assignments while I'm stuck going to red carpets and raves.
It does have some advantages though.
Here's from the other night. Gun's n' Roses / Velvet Revolver Drummer Matt Sorum said he just got his first pipe from Copenhagen last week! Welcome the newest member to the pipe club, Matt Sorum.
JxmLsiQ.jpg

I'm also building a collection of autographed tins. It's not something that I ever did but the collectability of tins and the signatures I thought would make a nice momento of my time here :) This is from the new ZZ Top movie premier a few nights ago. If you like ZZ Top, you're going to love this movie!
KTSPDhT.png

h3rodotus

Lurker
Jun 7, 2019
Brian, it's a weird history. There's even a guy, admittedly kind of a nut job conspiracy guy, but he made a really interesting list of all the people in Laurel Canyon that had connections to the Military and CIA. The list is staggering, almost everyone who lived there was connected to the government in some weird way. He made some tie to the experiments at Look out Canyon where I think the CIA did the LSD experiments or MK Ultra or something.
It's a crazy story but if you like stuff like that it's pretty fun :)
I was on a call with JimInks the other day and he's a big JFK conspiracy buff so we were talking up a storm lol.

h3rodotus

Lurker
Jun 7, 2019
Lukas, Sun Bear is making my top 5 blends of 2019 no doubt. It's my favorite virginia / oriental blend at the moment. I love orientals in the summer; I was recently on Navajo land in the 120 degree heat and although I did enjoy a few bowls of Plum Pudding, one of my favorite go to blends, I found that Durbar really cut the heat the best.
Now Sun Bear has a Virginia base so and that light casing, it shouldn't really be considered an aromatic I mean it's right on the edge. I'm already half way through the tin in 4 days. It sold out in like 3 days so if you spot any, please let me know I was only able to get 5 tins.
1cFiAxy.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
ZZ Top throwing gang signs. What's the world coming to?? :lol:
I dig that straight line rustication in the second photo.
Welcome to the forum!
jay-roger.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
really love all the conspiracy stuff! Sadly, the Hollywood of California has become, in my opinion, a caricature of it's former self. And, a rather seedy caricature if I may observe. I will say, away from the asphalt, exist some really great "Californian" environs.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Alaskan Pipe, one of my best friends is a camera man who does a lot of work up there, you might have seen one of the show's he did, it's called, "Deadliest Catch."
Yeah, there is no shortage of adventure to be had that's for sure. I'll take the crab boat over the red carpets any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.