PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
Hi everyone!
Just wanted to say hello since this is my first real post here. My name is Eddy, I'm 29 years old and from Germany. I'm living in Marburg in Hessia and I just finished my final exams.. So I'm going to become a teacher in politics and philosophy within the next... two years.. :) By the way, I'm a big fan of the U.S. (most Germans at my age aren't..) and I'm going to visit California in April or in July for three weeks.. I have been to LA and SF already, that was four years ago. This time I'll be there as a pipe smoker also and I'm really looking forward to spend some money on the beautiful American tobaccos. :)
I'm smoking pipes for 3 1/2 years now and there already were times when I had a collection of 30 pieces. But since I only smoke one or two bowls a day I decided to reduce my collection and sold nearly all of my pipes. Then I started to rebuild my collection with a focus on smaller handmade pipes. Right now, I'm back to 15 pipes again, ten of them are "handmade" or "freehands", however you want to call it, and I still got 5 nice English classics. Here is a photo of my collection, if you are interested:
6804480419_eb095c9f1e_z.jpg

Cheers! Eddy

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
Nice collection there, I'm curious about the second from the top on the left hand side & third from the bottom on the right. Who makes them? They're very nice.

havanarick

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
willkommen Eddie, Great collection of pipes you have there.Hope you enjoy the forum, There is a lot of information floating around this site.

guten tag....

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Welcome to the forums Eddy!
Every one of those pipes is a winner in my book.

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
Hi Paul! With K-town, do you mean Köln/Cologne? Cologne perhaps offers the biggest pipe shop in the world. I hope you visited it :) Marburg is in Hessia, pretty much in the middle of the country, near Frankfurt.
Hi Ulrich! You mean the two bamboos? The short bamboo on the left is a Chonowitsch and the longer one right is a J. Alan pipe. Don't ask me how I got the Jess Chonowitsch thing.. I didn't buy it... Was a very kind trade with a good friend of mine.

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I'm looking forward to browse these forums :) And yeah, I like my collection pretty much so far, they're all good smokers. But the flashlights reveal: some stems could need some polish..

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
hello Eddy nice looking pipes ya got its been years sence i have been to Germany last time i was there it was West Germany :wink: and truth be told Cali aint a very smoker friendly state if ya get a chance you should visit the South we have some great tobbaco

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
Yeah pawpaw.. I know about California and the smoking issue.. Four years ago I had the feeling I was the only cigarette smoker there :) At least the only one who rolled his own cigarettes.. The problem with the U.S. for me is: it is soo big and there are so many places I would love to visit! And one of them is Louisiana, definately.. (I watched all the seasons of True Blood and I simply love the countryside and everything that is pictured there. Well except of the vampires, werewolfs, etc. :D).. And I wanted to visit Vegas as well. It might all be too much for three or four weeks? But I definately am going to rent a car and hit the road after some days in LA..

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Eddy, glad you decided to post some pics of your collection. That S. Bang would have been right at home in that beautiful collection of pipes.

Pawpaw is right though, come see The South some time !

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
OK, I'll try! Tell me: how long does it take from LA to Louisiana? On a roadtrip? Don't want to drive 14h a day :) But 5 to 7 might be fine..

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
Welcome!

With K-town, do you mean Köln/Cologne?

Not trying to put words into Pauls...er...fingers...but I think K-Town = Kaiserslautern. I have been there as well as a few other places like Trier. I loved it :)

Mardi Gras is coming up quick. If you're going to Louisianan that would probably be a good time to do it ;) And you'd go through TX getting there probably so it's a win/win situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.