PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadwat3r

Lurker
Aug 26, 2018
Hello i have officially been smoking a pipe for 8 hours and smoked 4 bowls and loading my next! My name is nic and i live in alberta canada. Im a big cigar smoker and wanted to try a pipe. Problem was I know nothing about pipes really. I went to my local tobacconist and asked for the cheapest pipe kit they could set me up with and i nearly went out of my mind when the furest “cheap pipe they showed me was $150 CAD it took me 20 minutes of saying that pipes where too expenive when they finaly showed me the corncobs. I picked a semi bent corncob that was $10 CAD it uses medico 6mm filters. I know alot of people dont like the filters but i tryed one bowl with out and i decided i liked them. It was very unpleasant with out it. I picked up an ounce of the “premium house blend” it cost me $22 CAD i have no clue if thats a good price or not but based on the rude customer service i feel like i may have been ripped off. I also picked up a pack of 10 medico filters for $1.50 CAD they put the tobacco in a zip lock bag. I put it in a glass jar. I dont know if that is the right thing to do but its how i store my other types of tobacco. I was shown how to pack the pipe and it seems to work well. It stays lit till there is nothing but ash. I already owned a pipe tool and pipe cleaners so they did not sell me either of those. They were very rude and almost mocking me for wanting a cheap pipe that i could afford to not use if i didnt like it. Is this the experience i can expect at tobacconist? They were very frendly and help full till they figured out that i was really buying a cheap pipe. I have a few general questions. How many bowls can i smoke per filter. What is the best way to store pipe tobacco and how often can i smoke my pipe. I heard that they nead to rest? I dont understand this and am not overly worried about shorting my pipes life span. What is the general care for a corncob? What is general pipe smoking etiquette in public? Thanks for all your help in advance

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My goodness you are new, welcome aboard!
-I would smoke 1-2 bowls per filter
-Mason jars are great for tobacco storage
-resting a pipe involves letting it cool and dry out though cobs can take a little more abuse than briars
-cob care is about the same as any pipe, run a pipe cleaner through the stem after a smoke, bend the cleaner into a "U", and wipe out the bowl
-smoking in public just depends on where you are, if public smoking is allowed it should be fine but it never hurts to ask

deadwat3r

Lurker
Aug 26, 2018
Yes i am! Ok i will stick with one bowl. They are stupid cheap so thats not a problem. Im glad mason jars are good. Thank you for the info on resting. Pipe care seems simple enough! Thank you. Smoking in public is legal here so i guess i dont have to worry. Thank you!!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Very welcome. Much collective info about pipes and tobacco on here, so ask away anytime!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Oh boy! Take a breath! Welcome to the forums!
There is a very steep learning curve when it comes to pipes, much more so than with cigars. When I have a smoke with my cigar smoking neighbor, I'm jealous he just has to light and puff.
The main things to u understand when you start out;
Dry your tobacco - at least for 30 minutes. The drier the tobacco the less moisture to burn your tongue, and will help you get the most flavour out of it.
Your packing method, of which there are many different ways, greatly effects how the tobacco burns. There are plenty of threads on packing techniques.
Slow down, slow! Slow your puffing - you just take little sips of the pipe. You don't take long pulls from it. The idea is to keep your bowl just above smouldering.
As for your pipe maintanance, some insist on resting your pipes, some don't. Much of pipe smoking comes down to personal preference and what works for you.
Welcome again, and ask away!

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
You are not alone with the rude tobacconist. I do 99% of my shopping at smoking pipes.com but will occasionally stop in at the local tinder box just to give a B and M a little business. Nothing big, just a few pipe cleaners and maybe a tin or two, even though they mark it up 100%. The fellow in there just sits in a chair smoking cigars with the other fat slobs in there and won’t even greet you when you walk in. When I am finished with my purchase he just walks away from the counter, not saying anything to resume his piggish conversation. I have been a pipe smoker for 15 years and it’s a shame the tobacconists today don’t seem to care about customer service, maybe that’s why they are a dying breed.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The local tobacconist in Regina isn't rude, he's a rather nice fellow. Shame I don't buy more locally, but the taxes on leaf are terrible. Here it's about $20 for 25 grams of their bulk blends; a tin of Nightcap would be like $50. The cheapest briar pipe there would be a $30-35 basket pipe.
When I went there to get started on my piping 'journey' I got ambivalent impressions. The lady who works there almost seemed to be trying to discourage me from piping: 'here's the pipe tobacco; it's very expensive...'. Then again, that's MY impression; overall they were friendly and helpful. A customer who I presume is a regular there (have seen him there a couple of times) was in the store and advised me to spend as much as I could afford on a pipe (sound advice, which I didn't listen to and ended up with a mediocre churchwarden which was $45), and to buy good leaf and avoid 'all that crap' (the OTCs). I walked out with a Vincenzo churchwarden, a Czech tool, pipe cleaners, and 25 g of aromatic tobacco.
They didn't try to sell me the most expensive pipe, though. They let me choose my own poison, as they say. The store carries lots of Petersons, Brighams, a few Savinellis, and briar pipes by less known manufacturers/brands. They also have cobs, which the lady at one point suggested, as they're cheap and if I didn't like piping I wouldn't have spent a lot. What they did try earnestly to sell me on another visit was a estate pipe, but I don't like used stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.