PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

suldegger

Lurker
Nov 3, 2014
Hello,How are you today?

So few days ago,I was lying on the bed,and I remembered a really old friend of mine.

He was my best friend back when I was 8~.

After going thru our childhood,I also remembered that everytime that I came over to his place,I saw his dad smoking a pipe.

So I searched google and youtube about these pipe and the kinds of tobacco,And I decided to give it a try.

I started to get into that about 3 days ago,and since im sick and just lying at home,all I did in these 3 days is just searching and watching videos about pipes and tobaccos.

So I looked for beginner tips and learned a thing or two,and there you go,I ordered a pipe and few tobaccos.

So this is the list :
+ Savinelli 6mm Balsa Filters (20/pack)

+ 7 Seas Regular 100g

+ French Quarter 1.5oz

+ Czech Pipe Tool

+ B. J. Long Regular Pipe Cleaners (56 pack)

+ Washington Straight Corncob

+ Mac Baren Modern Virginia Loose Cut .71oz (sample)
well thats it.

I have few questions:

how is this "kit" for a beginner pipe smoker?

and are these tobacco are good?

and im planning to smoke one or twice a week,friday and saturday for example. will it effect my health much?

I never smoked before,well I did smoke hookah few times but never actually smoked.

Thank you and have a nice day!! ;D
PS:Sorry for my English,I do my best :|

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. It looks like you're off to a good start. A decent pipe lighter would be a good addition unless your going with wooden matches. Re the Savinelli0, most Americans don't use the filters at all. That's something you'll have to decide for yourself. a cob is always a good idea. They are great for trying new blends and they are sturdy performers. Good luck with your journey and check in often. Let us know how you are progressing.

I would also encourage you to watch some of the videos by Fox Tobacconists. They are very good, short tips on packing, lighting, etc.

Most of all, have fun.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Welcome to the forum! As papipe said certainly try the balsa wood filters but not many like them. Just keep your pipe shank & bit clean with a pipe cleaner or two after every smoke. You might want to add a shank brush to use every so often. The MM cobs have a pretty open draw and are easy to keep clean. Keeping a clean pipe does more than most anything else.
7 Seas is a good tobacco. I have no first hand experience or knowledge on the other tobacco blends you chose.
Good luck starting with a positive experience!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Take your time in all matters. Take your time packing, lighting and especially puffing. Gentle sips vs constant chugging. Take your time acquiring tobaccos and pipes.
When you're ready for another pipe, I would suggest stepping up to the MM General or Freehand. When you're ready for a briar, don't go cheap. Go for a decent Savinelli, Stanwell or other pipe around $100 bucks, plus or minus a few dollars. You'll save money in the long run if you start with good pipes and tobaccos.
Regarding tobaccos, your mileage may vary but flakes and coins opened a whole new world for me. We're taking a break now, but when our tobacco crawl resumes, you might take a look. It is essentially an online pipe tobacco club and members smoke several blends of tobaccos in a month, and compare notes.
Good luck.

suldegger

Lurker
Nov 3, 2014
Thank you for the help.

But seems like no one answered the me one question that's bothering me.

If I will smoke once a week (not inhaling) will it effect my health much?

have a nice day ;D

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
In the long run it will. As to how it will it is different for each. To some it will effect more to some less. But so does the smoke in the street from buses and cars. Personally i dont think twice a week will effect too much. But no one can tell for sure. Try it and if you like it sit back relax and enjoy your smoke.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Consult your doctor for professional advice. But the often quoted, 50 year old Surgeon General's report, stated that pipe smokers live 3 years LONGER than NON-smokers.
Go figure.
What it couldn't tell you is how much longer, if any, those pipe smokers would have lived if they had never smoked.
Unfortunately, science has been contaminated by so many competing self-interest groups and neurotic doomsayers, that it takes a shovel to get through the BS.
No one can honestly tell you that there is zero risk, especially for an individual. For example, a pipe a week for an athlete may be fine but not so if you are asthmatic.
But no one can honestly tell you that there aren't health improving physical and psychological palliative effects that outweigh the risks, thus the longer than average life span of pipe smokers.
I made my decision for me and am comfortable with it. You'll need to make yours.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
If you can get samples of tobacco from anywhere, its a good way of trying new stuff without a big outlay.

The one piece of advice that helped me was to smoke slowly, its not a race.

Take your time and enjoy, welcome aboard.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
How much will it affect your health? none of us can say, but the fact remains that we're all pipe smokers, so that means that we're willing to live with the possible consequences. Are there various illnesses associated with pipe smoking? Sure, but the risks are so small that we're willing to live with them. Let me give you an example. There is a higher incidence of bladder cancer associated with pipe smokers than in the general population. The same is true of males, and also of caucasians. So--if I end up with bladder cancer, does it mean that I got it because I'm male, caucasian, or a pipe smoker? You figure. I'm too busy smoking my pipe to worry about it.
And welcome to the forum. It appears that you've started off with a great selection, so sit back, light up and enjoy.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Ditto on what the others have said! Will getting behind the wheel of a car endanger your life? If you go in the ocean does this increase your chances of being eaten by a shark? There are certain risks that EVERYONE chooses to make in their life, you will have to make yours. After all 10 years from now they may say that the signals from cell phones does cause brain cancer. Bottom line we are all going to die, it comes down to did you enjoy the time you had while here. If one day I stand at the pearly gates, and am asked did I enjoy that pipe? My answer will be "every damn day"!

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
Welcome to the forum, and to the hobby of pipe smoking. Looks like you are off to a good start, corn cobs are great starter pipes. looks like you picked out good tobaccos, I would recommend also getting some McClelland Frog Morton Cellar. thats what I started on. It's a great tobacco for starters, and for seasoned smokers

and are these tobacco are good? Like the others said I can not say with 100% certainty, but my personally I believe that everything is predestined, and when and I am going to die it was meant to happen that way at that time. but I don't think in moderation it will be a big deal.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Welcome to the forum!
Try to enjoy the wise cracks and sarcasm, we mean well...

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
+1 zekest we tend to be a sarcstic bunch. As for your health...you mentioned you are already sick so what the hell right? See what I mean about the sarcasm.

Welcome to the forums. there is much to be learned here and plenty of good folks to get info from... some good some not so good..for you indivdually. Like mentioned above try many tobaccos...try them more than once. Just becasue you didn't like it the first go around you will be amazed sometimes to find your initial thought was off. Sometimes you will figure out you just don't like it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Will it affect my health? Maybe in a good way. It has mine, but that's because I've traded in my roll your own cigs for pipes and don't inhale, much.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
Here is a great article written by Kevin

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-smoking-culture/health-benefits-of-pipe-smoking/
and here is one from seattlepipeclub.org

http://www.seattlepipeclub.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=969877&module_id=17020
allot of these guys have been pipe smoking longer then you or I have been alive so if you have questions feel free to ask, yes we like to have fun and be sarcastic at times, but will always be willing to help.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I agree with what everyone else has already said. Smoking a pipe is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable. If you are stressed or worried about how it will affect your health or if you're doing it wrong/having troubles with the pipe, then you may be better off not smoking at all. I really wouldn't worry about it suldegger. Just keep practicing and learning and work on enjoying the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.