PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfman9

Lurker
Aug 27, 2018
Hello to you all, I’m quite glad to have found this site, what a great resource and community.
I guess you’d classify me as an occasional pipe smoker, as I don’t generally smoke on a daily basis, its something I really enjoy when I can though.
I was introduced to the hobby when I came across a couple of my grandfather’s pipes in an old box I was sorting though.

They hadn’t been well stored or cared for since his passing, so I decided to clean them up and restore them in memory of him, but didn’t give much thought to smoking them initially.

A few months later I was gifted a tin of Drew Estate pipe tobacco that a friend had gotten free as part of some giveaway or promotion, and had no interest in, so I decided that I’d try it out in my pipes that I’d restored.

Although my first smoke wasn’t very enjoyable at all (overly moist tobacco and I packed it far too tight), I gave it a second try and had a much nicer experience.

That started me onto picking up a couple inexpensive new pipes of my own, and buying some Captain Black Dark at the shop where I got one pipe, mostly because I wanted to try a cavendish based tobacco.

The Captain wasn’t bad, in fact I liked it at least as much as the DE blend I first tried, but it was a little difficult to keep lit and was obviously a lower quality tobacco, with some detectable goop even after drying.

I finally decided recently to try a better quality tobacco, even though I had plenty of the other two still left, and picked up a tin of MacBaren Black Ambrosia at a local B&M, it is by far my favorite up until this point!!

Easy light, even burn, great flavor, and I haven’t experienced any of the famous bite that so many complain of from MacBaren.
So anyways, that a brief introduction of myself and my pipe smoking experience, looking forward to discussing this fine hobby with you all.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A big welcome, wolf! You'll have lots of fun exploring tobaccos, I bet.
Many, even most, perhaps, do not consider smoking a pipe a hobby. Serious collectors of pipes find a hobby in that, but there aren't many of those folks here.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Welcome! I started only a few months ago and am enjoying the journey. So many tobaccos to discover! The forums have been a huge help.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
How's it going , I like piña coladas and gett'n caught in the rain

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Hello, wolfman.
After you suffer through learning how to post photos here, you have to share pics of grampaw's pipes!
Welcome.
jay-roger.jpg

wolfman9

Lurker
Aug 27, 2018
See if this works, here’s a picture of my grandfathers pipes when I first was getting them cleaned up.

ZxKr9jb.jpg

I somewhat favor the straight Rhodesian, so here’s a picture of it more recently in a leather stand I made for it.

73Crqbs.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome Wolfman9,
Smoking Grandfather's old pipes...I always think that's pretty cool.

wolfman9

Lurker
Aug 27, 2018
I’m told he tended to favor the typical drug store pipe tobaccos like Prince Albert. Half and half, or bourbon blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That pot shape is mighty pretty, a classic but with a rakish cant to the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.